New Coop - Hurray!

• 15 Replies

Skywise

New Coop - Hurray!
« on: September 03, 2011, 15:49 »
So, after weeks and weeks of my OH demanding the right to build our first chicken coop, he finally sat down and read one of my chicken books this morning and came hurtling out wittering about red mite, lice, cleaning regimes and all the many and varied things I've been trying to tell him about for months!  ::)

The upshot is that I've just ordered an medium sized Eco House to be delivered this week, which has brought the date for actually acquiring some chickens forward by about 3 weeks!

Hurray!

Now all I have to do is decide on a breed - I quite fancy some Barred Plymouth Rocks but I can't find any breeders around here (Carmarthenshire)

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I should say that I'm a very shallow sort of person and am all about "The Pretty" LOL

I suppose I should just go for some nice healthy hybrids first before I get involved with more delicate pure breeds . . . .

NormandyMary

Re: New Coop - Hurray!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 18:13 »
How many hens will you be able to have with your size of house and run? Perhaps you could have half your flock with proven good layers, and the others the more decorative ones. Im sure though that after having your chooks for a couple of weeks, you will think that they are ALL pretty!
Anyway, good luck and welcome to the world of chook keeping, you WONT be disappointed!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 20:52 »
You could go for one of each of the breeds you like the look of or buy just one breed but have one of each colour?  ;)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:22 »
Pure breeds don't need to be delicate at all.  Barred Plymouth Rocks are famous for being some of the hardiest birds around, and so are many other breeds that might be easier to find in your area.

My Light Sussex pullets are the ones that get the most comments from visitors.  Their lovely white feathers gleam against the green grass, and their pretty black scarves and bright red combs make a stunning contrast.

I'm sure you will love whatever breeds you choose. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:54 »
and my araucanas lived outside all last year in the trees (some slept in the laurels so had leafy cover but another slept in a bare cherry tree) all through the snow and frosts.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Skywise

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:08 »
Oooh - decisions, decisions  ???

I've been told that the size of run we've got will be big enough for four birds - just.  So I've decided to go for 3 to make sure they're not going to be unhappy.  A small "flock" I know but it's my first time keeping chickens so I don't want to find myself (or the birdies) overwhelmed with disasterous results.

The Light Sussex are IveryI pretty and so are the Araucanas.  Heck, they're all just adorable aren't they?

I think I'll just check around for the most reputable breeders in the area and take whatever type of chooks they have available because I'm sure NormandyMary's right and I'll fall for them as individuals - whatever they look like  :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:50 »
Oooh - decisions, decisions  ???

I've been told that the size of run we've got will be big enough for four birds - just.  So I've decided to go for 3 to make sure they're not going to be unhappy.  A small "flock" I know but it's my first time keeping chickens so I don't want to find myself (or the birdies) overwhelmed with disasterous results.

The Light Sussex are IveryI pretty and so are the Araucanas.  Heck, they're all just adorable aren't they?

I think I'll just check around for the most reputable breeders in the area and take whatever type of chooks they have available because I'm sure NormandyMary's right and I'll fall for them as individuals - whatever they look like  :)
Well you know what they say...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And as long as they are healthy and lay you good tasty eggs, they will be belles of the ball to you!!GOOD LUCK!

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 12:53 »
Which coop did you get Skywise?

tanya10

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 21:19 »
Good luck , I am sure you will enjoy keeping hens  we have 6 white bantam hens , they are all lovely , we are going to be getting some gold line hens soon too .
Are you going to name your hens ? ours are called Rosie , Snowy, Willow ,Flower , Henriette & Dinah , my 4 children named their own hens , they love seeing if they have laid any eggs & they love mucking out too , hens are very amusing pets to have & are very intelligent pets too , we are hooked on our girls .

Happy hen keeping  .

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 21:37 »
Oh yes. Do tell, which coop you went for??
If you like pretty, have you thought of Pekin Bantams. they have the feathery feet and are very pretty. Or what about Silky bantams??
we have 3 Pekins and a Wyandotte banty and the Pekes are so comical and curious.

Skywise

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 07:14 »
We bought a Green Frog Designs medium sized Lodge.  We chose it for a couple of reasons, partly, of course, the eco side of it (using recycled plastic etc) and partly because it looks good,  but mostly because it comes apart so easily for cleaning.

It should be here by Friday and I've asked for it to be made in yellow.  I'm sooooo exited *does the Happy Dance*

Originally I did want a wooden coop because they look more traditional (I told you I was shallow  :lol:), but the more I read around the subject, the more I realised that a plastic one would be better for the chookies healthwise, and better for me timewise.

Of course we're going to name them tanya10  :).  At the moment there's a battle royal brewing because I want to call them Gwendoline, Martha and Nancy whereas hubby favours Blodwen, Nerys and Gwynneth.  Of course, we'll have to wait until we actually get them here to see if they look like a "Gwendoline" or a "Nerys" but the bantering is fun.  He's been against me having chickens so it's nice that he's sort of entering into the spirit of it.  I think he's almost as exited as I am now.

I have thought about bantams Anndee, but the main reason we're getting chickens is for the eggs - at least that's what made hubby finally agree that I could get some.  I can see that the bantams are the sweetest things going, but they don't really lay big enough eggs so, until hubby gets used to the idea of chickens in the garden and I can persuade him to give up more garden for chookies, then I'm afraid the bantams will have to wait.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 17:00 »
Excellent choice Skywise, I have the large chicken lodge and am very pleased with it. I have Messaged you with some specific information re the coop.

Ben

Skywise

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 18:40 »
Thanks for the info Ben - this will be my 10th post so I can answer your Message personally once I post this!

Apparently, so hubby says, it's not the Lodge we've bought but the House which is lower to the ground I believe.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 19:42 »
The lodge is eesentially the house on legs and you can get a conversion kit of legs to lift the house off the ground. Personally I went for the lodge so that the chooks can hide under the coop when it rains as my run is not covered. Having said that i'm now covering a portion of the run anyway after the torrential rain we have had recently.

tanya10

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 11:32 »
Hi
I bet you cant wait , our bantam hens lay brown eggs & white eggs , some are small , but most are medium to large .
We will be getting some more hens soon  ,.I am seeing a friend of mine who makes coops , so will keep you informed.
So glad ::)you are going to name your hens .Please let us know what names you enentually give  them  ::).
Good luck , enjoy your eggs thetre is nothing better , than a fresh laid egg  :tongue2:

xx
Got my coop - what next?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 11:50
by Craig69
xx
Hot coop?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 17:02
by Goldfinger
xx
who to buy your coop from

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 19:03
by Bogof
xx
Which coop?

Started by Mulberry1990 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 10:42
by Vecten

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 36 queries.