Duckling Question

• 3 Replies

Gerty333

Duckling Question
« on: September 01, 2011, 20:51 »
Just wondering if anyone knows how old my ducklings have to be before they can go out at night? They're 4 weeks old now - just getting their feathers, we've pretty much played it by ear with them and they've been going out in the day for about a week, now they're getting more and more reluctant to come in at night but i'm worried they're a bit young as we have no heat up there!!

Thought you'd like a picture, and extra points if you can tell me what they are!! Billy is the yellow/white one and Benny is the black!
Untitled.png
132 - Copy.JPG

Sassy

Re: Duckling Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11 »
It is quite cold at night now and if they are only just getting their feathers I would want to wait at least another couple of nights. You can get away with them being younger when the nights are warmer but I would not have thought so at the moment. :)

PS They don't get any better at wanting to come in at night!! ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:22 »
Not sure about Billy but Benny looks like an Indian Runner in my inexperienced opinion. 

We have 4 Call ducks who are 4 months old now.  They have been free ranging since they were 6 weeks and are put away each night as although they can't (as yet) get out of garden Mr Fox can get in. 
We have a third of an acre for them and the pond  is 20x15 ft and 4ft deep. OH and I go out armed with landing nets on long poles and "talk" them into the house from the pond each night.  They seem to have been programmed now and it only takes a few minutes to get them in.
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.  Good luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 08:50 »
It is quite cold at night now and if they are only just getting their feathers I would want to wait at least another couple of nights. You can get away with them being younger when the nights are warmer but I would not have thought so at the moment. :)

PS They don't get any better at wanting to come in at night!! ::)

Sorry that should be to wait another couple of weeks not nights!!!!

xx
Possible duckling

Started by dkelly on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 13:11
by slowef
xx
re duckling

Started by phil2005 on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 22:52
by too many girls
xx
DUCKLING

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:47
by WR1
xx
Duckling - cute or what?

Started by WG. on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 21:17
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 37 queries.