Crop Question

• 11 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Crop Question
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:55 »
I have a poorly chicken.  We think she may have eaten too many elderberries and as a known diuretic gave her a poorly tummy.

We are currenlty keeping her in a box encouring her to drink and eat which she is slowly now taking an interest in.  She is still very weak though.

My main question is last night when we checked her, her crop felt very watery.  As she has had sour crop before we tipped her but all that came out was water.  Could this be because it is all she has really had? 

When I looked on here for info on sour crop it mentioned about the crop being swollen in the morning, which her's isn't really.  Should her crop be full at night?

Thanks

Emma
Emma

Casey76

Re: Crop Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:13 »
Her crop will be full at night if she has eaten throughout the day.

Her crop will be full of water if she has recently taken a drink, becasue even water doesn't pass straight through the crop.

As long as the crop is emptying overnight, I would really try to leave it alone.  It can actually be very easy to drown a hen by tipping it up to "empty" the crop.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:39 »
Thank you.

Yes we are carefull only to do it in short bursts when necessary, but it did cross my mind that maybe it isn't sour crop as it was still empty this morning.

She is interested in water and is starting to pick albeit not very much at food, so I am hopeful maybe it was just berry overload that upset her.

Thanks for the advice.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 20:26 »
Sorry another question?

In trying to entice her to eat, I have tried spaghetti, which she sort of tried but wasn't to bothered by, Special K, another old favourtie of hers but she is not not really bothered by. 

The only thing she seems to be keen on is grapes, but I am worried if I give her too many it could make her worse...am I over worrying or should I let her have them as its all she is eating at the moment?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 22:20 »
Too many grapes may make her droppings very wet and messy, but there is a fair amount of sugar in them.  Something more starchy would be better if you can get her to eat it .

Other people on here have tried porridge on sick chickens with good results.  I've used cooked rice before, which mine love, as a way to get a chicken eating.  I then mixed mash in and got them back to normal eating that way.  Poultry Spice mixed into feed also seems to reawaken appitite in my experience  :)

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:35 »
New Shoot, I cannot thank you enough. 

I have tried her with some watery porridge this morning and was so pleased to see her eat more than I have seen her eat in the last 5 days!!  :D

I have put her back in her box for the time being to let her digest what she has had and will try her again a bit later, so as not to overload her.

I am hoping if I can get her eating again, she can build up some strength.   I am now convinced she ate too many berries which started her feeling ill in the first place.  Her crop isn't full in the morning, although to be fair she hasn't really eaten till now, but more than that she is still drinking and generally interested in life, with bright eyes.

Fingers crossed we can nurse her through this.

Thnk you again

Emma

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 09:33 »
If I suspect a crop problem, I tend to mix porridge with watered down probiotic yoghurt (unflavoured). The porridge will help nutralise the bacteria in the crop and it also encourages a hen to eat because they really like both.
Best of luck with her, I hope she picks up soon.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 19:12 »
I'm so glad to hear the porridge worked Emma  :D  Little and often is best until she perks up a bit.

You are obviously lavishing lots of care on your little hen, so now she is eating something, hopefully she will come on in leaps and bounds  :)

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 21:08 »
Thank you both for your advice.

She is looking much brighter today, even been out of her box for walk for a couple of short spells today and seen to eat some bugs alongside her porridge  :D

I am hopeful you may see a new thread on here shortly on best way to re-introduce her to her 2 friends  :blink:

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 22:02 »
Would she maybe like some corn or even some live mealworms to help boost her appetite. They are a very good source of protein as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 20:53 »
Thank you both for your advice.

She is looking much brighter today, even been out of her box for walk for a couple of short spells today and seen to eat some bugs alongside her porridge  :D

I am hopeful you may see a new thread on here shortly on best way to re-introduce her to her 2 friends  :blink:

Good to hear  :D  Thanks for letting us know how she's getting on.  I was wondering if she was OK now :)

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 20:54 »
Well she is back in the run with the others  :D

She still has a bit of a floppy comb and not back to full strength, but she didn't want to stay in the box anymore, which we took as a sign she was feeling better.

We are still keeping a close eye on her and we have had to pop her up on the bars to roost tonight as she was sleeping in the nest box.

The other 2 seemed to accept her back without too much of a fuss, however she is still keeping herself to herself more than usual.........We are hoping to get some new hens in the next few weeks when she is looking more like full strength so I guess she will then find her new place in the pecking order.

Thanks again for all the help offered

Emma

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
SOUR CROP!

Started by bellagirl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 11:47
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 38 queries.