Egg Bound? & Worms

• 4 Replies

westview

Egg Bound? & Worms
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:41 »
Hi there, am hoping for some advice on one of my exbat hens and worming if poss please.  I've had Barbara for over a year now and she's been doing really well, looks lovely with all her bald bits now covered with beautiful feathers.  Unfortunately I think she's got an egg stuck??  Since last Thursday I noticed she was doing bit of a waddle and was looking a bit unwell.  I felt her underneath and can feel an egg sized lump about and inch or so below her vent.  I've had her in the quiet in a box in the Utility ever since.  I've given her 2xwarm baths (which she really hates and gets quite stressed about), plus I regularly pop a warm hot water bottle under her in the box.  She now has a little doorway in the box and will pop in and out to have a little snack now and then... I can only get her to eat mealworms at the moment.  I'm giving her a tonic, along with some water and cod liver oil via a pipette a couple of times a day also.  Her comb is extremely red and floppy.  She's not getting any worse and will occasionally even come out into the garden then walk back to the house and get back in her box.  Is there anything else I can be doing to try and dislodge this egg?? I've seen on here a couple of comments where cod liver oil is used around her vent??
As a separate issue - I'm in the process of worming my other girls as I've found some worms whilst poo picking the other day...  What I've been doing is using the 1% flubenvet, adding some to sweetcorn then individually giving them all some (they queue up outside the greenhouse for their turn).  Is this giving them the protection they need - I read in past subjects that it should be in their food and they're not to eat anything else?
Sorry for such a long subject - any help will be much appreciated!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Egg Bound? & Worms
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:58 »
some may disagree, but olive oil and a gentle probing finger can help!

eeek!

I hate signatures but love irony

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:39 »
If she has been egg bound for a week, then you should treat it as a medical emergency!  the other eggs will be backed up in her system and could be causing all kinds of problems.

I would take her to a vet, where he can break the egg and extract it (please don't try to do this yourself, as if any of the pieces of shell lacerate her insides it can lead to a very nasty infection).

however, having said that, if she isn't in acute distress at this point, you may not be looking at a stuck egg, but rather a tumour in the egg duct :(

Which ever it is, you should seek veterinary assistance.

westview

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 20:34 »
Hi there, thank you for your comments.  I can't get her to a vet until the weekend as the only chicken vet here is 30 miles away!  We do have the normal vets locally but to be honest I've used them before and they're really no help.  I think we'll try some gentle probing in a bit with some warm cod liver oil and see how we go - otherwise as long as she keeps going as she is I'll take her to the vet at the weekend....  will keep you posted..  :(

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 10:24 »
Just be careful - as Casey says the last thing you want to do is break an egg if its is stuck (which is a little easy to do if its a softy)

Though you can try sitting her in a warm bath of water to help her relax, if it is an egg that’s stuck it may help it pass.

Good luck :(

xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
xx
EGG BOUND

Started by barley on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 17:02
by grinling
xx
possible egg bound

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 20:20
by karlooben
xx
pol egg bound

Started by greenjay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 06:52
by New shoot

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 37 queries.