• 7 Replies

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
unwanted cockerels??
« on: August 30, 2011, 23:21 »
I havent even got my chooks yet, and Im hooked already  :blink:
So much so that Im day dreaming about hatching etc, (not for a while now you understand!) it got me thinking about all thos little cockerels that are unwanted..what on earth do you do with them! is it a case of culling them? do you do it yourself?? what is the liklihood of them being rehomed?  our breeder has offered us a light sussex cockerel, and Im tempted to take him to eventually get some au naturale chicklets....but this cockerel issue scares me! couldnt imagine rearing a boy from a little fluff ball into a strapping young teen just to kill him. I do know that I need to harden up and be aware of the fine line between treating my hens like hens and not pampered pets.......please enlighten me..Im all ears (and eyes)  ::)
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: unwanted cockerels??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 23:39 »

I havent even got my chooks yet, and Im hooked already  :blink:
We all know that feeling!  :lol:

what on earth do you do with them! is it a case of culling them?
Yes, unfortunately.

do you do it yourself??
There are some good threads on here from people who do it themselves, explaining the different methods they use.

what is the liklihood of them being rehomed? 
There is a very slim chance of them being rehomed to a place where they will live a long life, unless they are a particularly desirable pure-breed.  You're more likely to find someone who will take a cockerel for free in order to fatten him up for the pot.

I would strongly suggest you decline the cockerel on offer, and get your girls first.  After you have had the girls for a while you can make an informed choice about hatching (and dispatching).

If you do decide to get a cockerel later for breeding you will find there are plenty on offer needing a new home - for exactly the reasons you have identified.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:47 »
sadly this is one of the drawbacks with hatching your own chicks. You can choose to hatch chicks that are colour sexed from day old so that any males can be culled straight away or if you go down the other route some birds cannot be sexed until they either crow or lay eggs - by which time you will have grown very fond of them.
Even if you have a rare breed of bird re-homing cockerels can still be difficult - most breeders of these birds will want to know the parentage and background of the cockerels so that they get the features and characteristics that they are looking for.
I cull my own cockerels (not a job I like doing at all but a necessity)using a wall mounted dispatcher, some get eaten although my other half won't eat them if he knows they were our birds - he just mutters stuff about he couldn't eat something he has said hello to  ::). Mind you he is a sensitive soul - I made a pasta dish the other day with rabbit in (shot by local farmer) and had to remove any bones and chop the meat into little pieces first so that he couldn't tell what meat it was. He said he enjoyed it until the following morning when I let him know what it was that he had eaten  ::) :lol:.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:30 »
Aaww bless him Joyfull!  He sounds like a darling man.  :wub:

nic_28

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14 »
Well after reading your replys and speaking to my OH we have decided aginat a cockerel, for the very reasons you've stated and also as we have 2 little children, and I know theres no guarantee you will get a well natured bloke. I think I would be biting off more than I could chew! I'mm just going to get used to my girls and see how we feel. But its something I guess needs to br thought through THOROUGHLY! and the thought of culling anything Ive considered a pet.......eep. Joyfull, I wish I could be more like you somedays, I get far too attached!. I was eating a chicken curry lastnight, and felt shame with every mouthful  :blink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:21 »
the other option is to buy day old coloured sexed chicks, this way you will get girls for certain so no culling needed and you get the joy of watching chicks grow.

mmmm chicken curry yummy (you wouldn't guess that a few years ago I was a vegetarian would you  ::)).

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:00 »
When we decided to take the leap and keep some chickens we opted for hatching eggs to watch the hatch and grow. we did this knowing that any unwanted boys would need to be dispatched. Out of our 9 chicks we had 3 boys, 3 girls and 3 unknowns (i cannot tell who they are)  :lol:  One of my boys is moving to London along with one of my girls, two boys had to be dispatched as they were getting quite a handful! I felt awful but it was the right thing to do as they next day peace was restored to to coop and the fighting has ended.
I would do it again but would pick breeds that could be used for ther table and would have spare housing ready for them too.
I think that if you really want chicks then day olds or hatching eggs are the best way to go if you have a small back yard set up.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30 »
Joyfull. my hubby is veggie, and to restore peace in our household, I tried to be meat free........that lasted about 2 weeks.....lol, I just love it so!

I have always wanted nice blue eggies, so maybe I'll get myself a little creamy legbar chick in a year or so..heck maybe I'll get 3!

Jak, the space (or noise) from Cockerels isnt an issue as we live in the middle of nowhere with 2 acres of land, Which made my cockerel conumdrum all the more difficult. as the thought of having a "cock-a-doodle-doo!!!!" in the morning just seems idealistic here....Maybe just maybe though, in a few years time, we could get one just for the atmosphere and to keep the hens safer, the breeding thing is totally off the cards now I think. xx thanks so much for your replies. You are all so ace.

xx
unwanted egg

Started by samuria on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 16:40
by Prod
xx
unwanted roosters

Started by elaine on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 19:03
by elaine
xx
unwanted rooster

Started by phil.freda on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 14:04
by phil.freda
xx
What to do with unwanted cockerals

Started by ruth.hornby on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2017, 09:14
by Sassy

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 29 queries.