Favourite Annual?

• 31 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Re: Favourite Annual?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 15:22 »
Your zinnias look lovely Jay although it wasn't easy to examine them closely as the photo was too small and wouldn't enlarge when I clicked on it. 

How come your volunteers are flowers and mine always seem to be weeds, hitching a ride in the compost between the garden and allotment? ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 18:15 »
Your zinnias look lovely Jay although it wasn't easy to examine them closely as the photo was too small and wouldn't enlarge when I clicked on it. 

How come your volunteers are flowers and mine always seem to be weeds, hitching a ride in the compost between the garden and allotment? ::)

It's not something I can really claim any credit for because they really are that easy!

The pic should enlarge either by clicking on the picture itself or the filename underneath (think my camera got it a bit wrong because it looks a bit over-exposed to me; the true colours almost hurt your eyes!)

Either the donated spent compost and/or my own soil contributed plenty of weeds as well, but fortunately I know most of them by now and pulled them out!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 13:26 »
I wouldn't be without sweetpeas, calendula (English Marigolds) and geraniums - trailing ones especially look fab at the moment in window boxes at the front of our cottage.  I'm going to try to overwinter the geraniums this year - fingers crossed.

sion01

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 13:34 »
I saw a lovely cosmo yesterday .The owner was in the garden and she said it was 'sweet sixteen'.I'd seen it in a catalogue but the picture didn't do it justice.Deffinetly one I'll be growing next year.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 17:14 »
I wouldn't be without sweetpeas, calendula (English Marigolds) and geraniums - trailing ones especially look fab at the moment in window boxes at the front of our cottage.  I'm going to try to overwinter the geraniums this year - fingers crossed.

It's not hard to overwinter geraniums if you have a frost free greenhouse, or even a porch or unheated bedroom.  I take cuttings off the parent plant about now and then cut it back hard  before the frosts and plant several plants in a deepish tray of general purpose compost (spent growbag compost is fine) and keep them on the dry side.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 22:07 »
Cosmos (bipinnatus) - it wouldn't be summer without them and Cobaea scandens!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 10:20 »
It's not hard to overwinter geraniums if you have a frost free greenhouse, or even a porch or unheated bedroom.  I take cuttings off the parent plant about now and then cut it back hard  before the frosts and plant several plants in a deepish tray of general purpose compost (spent growbag compost is fine) and keep them on the dry side.

There is the problem... it's just too expensive to keep the greenhouse frost-free :( so unless you have a heated conservatory, or a big windowledge in the spare bedroom.................. :unsure:

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 18:06 »
My fav Annual of all time is .........................................The Beano :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry I could not resist :D
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 18:08 »
 :lol:  :nowink:

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 19:30 »
We visited the lovely garden at Lydiard House in Swindon this weekend and the walled garden there is a joy to behold.  All the plants are chosen because they would have been grown in the 18th century and there were lots of cosmos which surprised me as I thought they were a modern introduction.   There were also lots of amaranthus (love lies bleeding) which look great at the edge of the borders - they will definitely be on my list next year.  I also loved the salvia plants which the gardener told me they grow from seed.  They looked just like sage leaves only the leaves were blue or purple.  He told me the name of the variety but I have forgotten it.  Can anyone enlighten me?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 19:33 »
was it just ordinary salvia purpurea ? plenty of google pics ;)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 19:52 »
No, I've just checked the pics out on Google and it's not them.  They didn't have any flowers (or not when I saw them anyway).  I recognised them as sage leaves immediately but the colours were striking - some of them violet and others bright aquamarine - really unusual.  The gardener did tell me the name of the variety but I've forgotten it ( I would remember if you said the name) and I can't find it in the catalogue I've got (Mr Fothergill)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 19:21 »
If you like flowers with bold, intense colours, with shapes varying from cheeky pom-poms to something dreamt up by a mad confectioner, and which are easy to sow and grow outdoors I would recommend mixed Zinnias. Amazing!  :)

I had already decided to try Zinnias next year.  They are in a garden featured in this month's issue of The Garden (RHS magazine) - it mentions that have been out of fashion in recent years but deserve a comeback. 

These are what mine look like (most of these individual blooms have been there for at least a fortnight, although they probably would have faded quicker in hotter weather.)

Nearly 3 weeks later the blooms in the picture (same original posting date) don't look at lot different, although I have had to dead-head one or two of them.  ;)

(If you don't believe there is an easy-to-grow colourful summer annual whose blooms will each last for up to 5 weeks through wind, rain and cool nights I can only suggest you give them a go!)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 16:30 »
I've just been watching some old Gardener's Worlds on Blighty and liked the look of agastache (hyssop) and red orach, neither of which I have grown before.  Has anyone else tried them?

compostqueen

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 00:32 »
I've grown hyssop from seed this year and it's grown like weeds  :)  Red orache is easy too

I think calendula is my absolute fave but cosmos and escholzia Red Chief is always on my list every year

xx
does anyone sow annual flowers in situ?

Started by earthing83 on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 22:20
by mumofstig
xx
Annual pruning battle with the roses

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 14:48
by cadalot
xx
Best time to plant annual flowers

Started by lowermeadow on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2019, 16:24
by lowermeadow
xx
Salpiglossis, my favourite.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2023, 12:07
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.