Favourite Annual?

• 31 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Favourite Annual?
« on: August 30, 2011, 18:27 »
Which are your favourite annuals?  The ones that work the hardest in your garden and provide the most colour and/or attractive foliage?

Mine has to be Cosmos 'Dwarf Sonata' with Tagetes 'Golden Gem' as a close runner up.  They are both really easy started off indoors late Feb/early March and are still flowering their little hearts out.  I deadhead the Cosmos regularly,  but the Tagetes don't need any attention.  I love sweet peas too and sow them in succession but only on the allotment for cut flowers as the plant themselves don't add anything to the garden display. 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Favourite Annual?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 18:39 »
Cosmos or Cerinthe, for different reasons as they are so different.  :) Probably....  :unsure:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 19:16 »
Cosmos in all it's colours is a joy, but the only annual I grow religiously every single year is Nicotiana x sanderae 'Fragrant Cloud'.
Pure white trumpets on a 3 ft stem, the foliage is nothing special, but the fragrance is sublime., and I wouldn't be without it, especially in the tubs near the door :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 19:26 »
Sweet peas!!

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 19:27 »
I am going to base my seed ordering list for next year on this thread  :)
I've got a brilliant display of Nicotiana langsdorfii and last year I grew N. sylvestris (both from Mr Fothergill).  Where you can get the seed for Fragrant Cloud Mumofstig?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 19:31 »

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 19:35 »
My favourites are Calendula (Pot Marigold). They re-seed themselves every year and even on dull days the flowers seem to shine - do not like the smell though.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 19:51 »
Tough question. At present it's a draw between calendula, sweet peas and cosmos.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

barbarella

• Experienced Member

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 20:01 »
Currently it is annual lavatera --- beautiful clouds of pale pink satiny flowers, with the occasional white flowered plant just for variety.

Just poke the seeds in the ground in March and stand back and watch the show  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sion01

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 20:30 »
here,
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-seeds/half-hardy-annual-seeds/nicotiana-x-sanderae-fragrant-cloud/6534TM

1000 seeds in the pkt  :ohmy: :lol:..my pkt is on it's 4th year now  ;)

Cosmo'purity' is one I can't be without and this year calendula'neon' has really performed well.I'm jealouse of mum as I'd like to grow nicotiana but they never grow for me :(

Surprisingly the best display of annuals I ever had was this year from a bit of madness on my part.I planted cosmo purity in a patch about 15 x 10 ft .Gathered all my old annual seeds and half used packets .Broadcast them around the cosmo and just raked them in.It's been a mix of the cosmo,marigolds,dill,shirley and field poppys,borage,evening primrose and field marigold for weeks .On a sunny day it just hums with so much bees.Its going past it's best now but it's been well worth it with absaloutly no care what so ever.They'll all be happily selfseeding and I'll probably regret it in years to come but its worth it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 21:09 »
If you like flowers with bold, intense colours, with shapes varying from cheeky pom-poms to something dreamt up by a mad confectioner, and which are easy to sow and grow outdoors I would recommend mixed Zinnias. Amazing!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sion01

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 21:31 »
I forgot annual asters.They may not be spectacular but last and last whatever the weather

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 22:23 »
If you like flowers with bold, intense colours, with shapes varying from cheeky pom-poms to something dreamt up by a mad confectioner, and which are easy to sow and grow outdoors I would recommend mixed Zinnias. Amazing!  :)

I had already decided to try Zinnias next year.  They are in a garden featured in this month's issue of The Garden (RHS magazine) - it mentions that have been out of fashion in recent years but deserve a comeback. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 12:36 »

I had already decided to try Zinnias next year.  They are in a garden featured in this month's issue of The Garden (RHS magazine) - it mentions that have been out of fashion in recent years but deserve a comeback. 

These are what mine look like (most of these individual blooms have been there for at least a fortnight, although they probably would have faded quicker in hotter weather.)

If you are wondering why I mentioned "mad confectioner" have a look at the one near the top left corner!

If you are sharp eyed you may also spot echium, antirrhinum, violas and pansies, all of which are volunteers which must have come from the donated compost from flower-loving friends which I used to improve the soil!  ::)

Oh, and the cucurbit in the top right is indeed a very healthy looking Winter festival squash plant with b*gger all on it (although it was the one which got eaten to a stalk by slugs!)
STA70046.JPG

xx
does anyone sow annual flowers in situ?

Started by earthing83 on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 22:20
by mumofstig
xx
Annual pruning battle with the roses

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 14:48
by cadalot
xx
Best time to plant annual flowers

Started by lowermeadow on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2019, 16:24
by lowermeadow
xx
Salpiglossis, my favourite.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2023, 12:07
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.