Woohoo first egg

• 12 Replies

redspookycooky

Woohoo first egg
« on: August 30, 2011, 18:15 »
I finally had my first egg on Wednesday, another on Fri, then 4 on Sunday and 2 today only thought i had one ready to lay, just wondering if when one starts laying they encourage the others to start??
 i have a maran whos 24 weeks (too light coloured for hers), 1 sussex 22 weeks, 1 sussex 20 weeks,jersey giant 20 weeks,RIRs 18 weeks and an orpington 17 weeks, all the eggs are  small and whitey/cream coloured so can`t figure whos laying them, think i`ll have to spend the day at the allotment spying on them all!

redspookycooky

Re: Woohoo first egg
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 18:19 »
One other thing, the yolks are really pale at the moment (they are on growers at the moment) was advised to feed them the diet of the youngest bird, so not on layers yet, could that be why the yolks are pale or is it something that brightens up with time?

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 18:54 »
Growers feed is not suitable for laying hens - it does not contain the necessary vitamins and minerals for strong shells and healthy hens. Plus, check if your growers feed contains anti-coccidiosis medication - some do and it is poisonous, so the eggs need to be discarded.
 As for the yolks, once they have the correct feed and get into their laying pattern, the yolks should colour up. If they don't, try a different brand of pellets.

redspookycooky

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 19:48 »
Hi thanks for the reply, checked the growers and it doesn`t have the medicated stuff in, would you swap them all on to layers then?will it affect the younger ones who aren`t quite ready to lay yet if they have layers pellets?

Boonoff

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 20:38 »
The best way would be to separate the growers from the layers that way the birds get the right pellet and it wouldn't be long before they were all on layers pellet anyway.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 20:58 »
Hi,

Congratulations! Isn't it exciting getting the first eggs?! We have only bought our chickens at point of lay, so haven't had this changing of feeds, however, it's often weeks before they start to lay, and they are already weaned onto layers pellets at the stage we get them, so I would say get them all on layers now.

Also, if you have checked the growers for medication - don't throw any away! Just enjoy them. The yolks will get darker as they develop their egg laying ability.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 21:56 »
I agree - all your pullets are old enough to go onto layers' feed now, so next time you buy feed you can change to layers'.  Also if the growers' feed isn't medicated you can keep using it until the bag is finished - as soon as you get the latyers you can start mixing the two feeds together to change them over slowly.

The main thing that's missing from growers' feed is calcium, so I would strongly suggest you get some crushed oyster shell grit and have it available to the chickens all the time so they can eat as much as they like. (Don't mix it with their food.)   Just before my first girl started laying she began eating shell grit, but the others ignored it, so I'm sure they take just what they need.

Oh and congratulations on the eggs!  :D  With your pullets starting to lay now you might be lucky and have them laying right through their first winter, so be prepared to gloat when everyone else is complaining of no eggs!  :lol:

redspookycooky

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 22:02 »
Thanks for all the advice given, got a sack of growers left then i`ll swap them onto layers i think.  I`m like a big kid when i go and feed them, all excited in case there another egg! Hopefully fingers crossed i`ll have a permanent supply of eggs now and no more shop bought ones!

Helenaj

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 07:02 »
When I had my first eggs I couldn't believe how hard the shells were to break compared to shop bought free range eggs - and don't even get me on the subject of trying to peel very fresh eggs (imagine a peeled egg that was about grape sized!).

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 15:13 »
Just make sure if you start getting soft eggs to buy a sack of layers any way...

You can always mix in a scoop of growers with your layers to get rid of it.

Also make sure you have Oyster shell available for the hens that are already laying - this is especially necessary if your keeping them on growers till you run out..  (I think i would just get layers and use the rest of the growers up by mixing from now any way but that’s just my opinion!)
I hate signatures but love irony

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 14:20 »
Congratulations!!! I had my first yesterday  :D and I'm in the same situation as you with the growers pellets.
I'll go and get layers on Fri, but how long after going on layers can you then eat the eggs?

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 20:05 »
Likewise. we have had our 3rd egg today. Just the one chicken thats laying at the moment. It is very exciting.
I can see I will have to see about getting some oyster shell as mine are on growers not layers as the eldest two are only 19 weeks old. the shells are hard though so she must be getting the essential additives.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 22:26 »
If the growers is medicated, the usual with-holding period is between 7 & 14 days.  If it doesn't say on the bag, you're best to contact the manufacturer to ask.  Different brands may use different mediacations or different doses.

Obviously if the grower feed isn't medicated you can eat them straight away. :)

Anndee, don't let the hard shells fool you - the calcium has to come from somewhere and if they aren't taking in enough, they will start moving it from their bones!  :ohmy:  So either move them onto layer feed or put some oyster shell out ASAP (ideally both).

Congratulations to all those with newly laying pullets.  Hopefully you will have an egg supply for the winter. :)

xx
woohoo Hemcore is back!!

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 15, 2016, 09:42
by Sassy
xx
6 chicks from my 1st clocker Woohoo

Started by Gardening Mark on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 21:11
by babe
xx
Started hatching today woohoo

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 07:52
by Jo57

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 36 queries.