Help - plucking and eating feathers updated

• 7 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Help - plucking and eating feathers updated
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:38 »
As it says in the title. Our two laying hybrids are plucking feathers from the non laying birds and eating them. Is this down to a lack of protein? They're currently on a mixture of layers and growers pellets as some birds not in lay yet. They're getting mealworms every other day, fresh greens daily and mixed corn or other treats to alternate with mealworms etc.

Any suggestions? I'm going to try and separate them off for the rest of today as this has now been going on for the last hour or so.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 18:42 by Ben_H »

Casey76

Hi Ben,

Have your laying hens just come into lay?

If yes, I would switch them back onto growers and make sure there are plenty of calcium rich veggies around (broccoli, curly kale, savoy cabbage etc) and ensure also that there is plenty of oystershell available (separately to the pellets).

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Thanks for the response Casey,

The two hybrids have been in lay for about a fortnight. I will get some extra shell, they have some in their mixed corn but evidently not enough.

The calcium rich veggies shouldn't be a problem, there's kale haging up in the run at the moment though they prefer Cavalo Nero to the curly stuff (fussy eaters, huh?).

Casey76

You betcha Ben, my birds don't like cabbage, lettuce or anything.  They prefer their greens as grass unfortunately!

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Right, 1 25k sack of oyster shell purchased. Drew the line at £30 for a special hopper to hold it though.  :ohmy:

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Re: Help - plucking and eating feathers updated
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 18:49 »
The main culprit is still at it. I have tried to separate her from the others but she keeps climbing the divider so I'm going to have to construct a roofed cage within the run.

If I'm going to be able to break her of the habit how long do people think it will take? I've tried "pecking" her myself when I've see her do it and can get to her but so far no change. I've sat watching her for 20 mins at a time, she just stalks the other birds around the run grabbing their feathers if they don't spot her coming. I'm particularly concerned for our Cochin who has the softest (most edible?) feathers as she should be coming into lay but I think is too stressed by the harrassment.

I'm also concerned as we should be collecting three new pekins as soon as I can sort things and I don't really have the resources at the moment for three compartments in the run. I can put the pekins off for a few weeks if people think it necessary to wait.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 18:53 »
buy some beak clips these will help stop her
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 13:00 »
I've got the beak clips from the domestic fowl trust http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/info_apb.html and fitted them to both our hybrids this morning. Needed two of us to do it but once fitted the birds seem oblivious to their "nose rings".

Looks like I've got them just in time as I spotted a bald and rather blooming patch on both legs of our Goldline Saffy last night, just above where the feathers start on the upper leg. She is now sporting some rather smart purple britches.

I tried to get a photo of the rings earlier but the dog kept sticking her nose in the way of the lens and then it started raining. Will get one later.

xx
PLUCKING FEATHERS

Started by jackie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 18:11
by jackie
xx
Plucking a chicken - how do I get the wing feathers off?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 20:42
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feather plucking and eating

Started by lucie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 21:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
feather plucking & eating

Started by Walfre on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 21:21
by MrTwang

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 38 queries.