Parsnip question.

• 18 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnip question.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 20:15 »
you get the crunchy skin in tiny pieces just when you thought summer was light years away...

and this is precisely why I put mine through the machine, to remove the skins, because I think they are tough and horrible after freezing  :(  perhaps the plum tomatoes have thicker skins :unsure:

The only ones I freeze without skinning are the really tiny toms that have very thin skins.

It wouldn't be normal if we all agreed would it?  :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 20:16 »
One way to decide Ben, is to know the probable number of parsnips you're likely to need over autumn/winter.

So, if you have a row of 30', then some will get pretty big by the end - often way over a pound weight or so, so do you really want to eat two pounds of parsnips every week for several months? (we do quite like the idea actually)

We took some off the row to try last week, and one (14 oz), was great roasted, then added to soup.

The rest we'll pull occasionally, until it really looks like we're getting stuck into the frosts, when we'll use them more regularly.

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 20:21 »
Good point Mum, but the skin bits are so tiny, they really don't become more than 'texture' - to us that is...

Agree about those tiny toms though, we'd go mad skinning them!

Mrs G likes to cook with chilli peppers the same way, so that the colour shines through - especially in January, when nothing seems to shine...;0)

CornishCol

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 22:19 »
i have dug a couple up for inclusion to an early stew, its not worth waiting for the 1st frosts here in North Devon,sometimes we would have to wait until well in November,and by early Feb they start to regrow,becoming woody. If you think parsnips dont have enough flavour then add a teaspoon of jam or honey when roasting ,never fails to enhance sweetness

xx
Parsnip question

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 07:11
by JayG
xx
Parsnip question

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 22:45
by fletch
xx
Parsnip question

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 18:55
by Growster...
xx
Parsnip question

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 13:51
by mashauk

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.