Green tomatoes not turning?

• 17 Replies

Goldfinger

Green tomatoes not turning?
« on: August 28, 2011, 20:07 »

I've still got loads (and I mean tons), of green tomatoes in the G/H that still haven't turned,

Should I be worried?

Some plotters were stripping their plants bare of any leaves except at the top once they had trusses set and were at the height they wanted.

I didn't strip the leave on mine so, should I / could I do it now to let light in and help the toms' turn??

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Green tomatoes not turning?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 20:09 »
They will even ripen off the plant on a warm and/or sunny windowsill, so I wouldn't worry at all.  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 20:25 »
Just sling some banana skins in there!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 20:55 »
Just sling some banana skins in there!

:lol: Better shut the door and window to keep the gas in then!  :lol:

And I can feel the weather cooling down now.  :(

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 06:13 »
You can cut off the trusses, and hang them on cords from the roof. This has worked in the past, but if the plants are looking healthy still, I don't see any worries at all.

Lucky you, having toms into autumn...!

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:48 »

And I can feel the weather cooling down now.  :(

Cooling down...? From 15C to 12C, you mean?!

I have the same problem just up the road.... have been on holiday the last two weeks, and came back to a couple of hundred green tomatoes - only my (outside) yellow bush tomato has given ripe toms - 2-3 dozen picked for lunch today :)

@Growster: as for lucky having tomatoes into autumn, for me, it would have been nice to have some during the summer! Autumn is my only hope!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 16:01 »
Mine have been a bit slow ripening this year as well. Yesterday I trimmed back some of the leaves that were shading the fruit and Accuweather says the sun is coming out this week so 'fingers crossed'  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 16:53 »
Sorry about that Lazza, but they'll be more expensive in the autumn perhaps, therefore, when we're all having to buy them, you'll still have a drawer-full!

Hope they all turn out OK from now on anyway!

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 19:27 »
I've been patiently waiting for my tomatoes to ripen (only had 4 so far :( ).  Most of the plants still look pretty healthy so I planned on leaving them.  But noticed one plant in the garden this evening that had gone very limp and the tomatoes have gone soft and wrinkled.  Dont want it to happen to the other plants!  So what's gone wrong? Is it just the cooler weather? Any tips on how to save the rest?  And is it ok to chuck this one and the soggy toms in the compost bin?? This one is the only plant of this type the others are all gardeners delight (?).  Sorry so many questions - a bit of newbie tomato panic has set in..... 
toms_aug11.JPG

leek

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24 »
i have hundreds of green tigerella and tumbling tiger and they are not turning red i am new to tomato and veg growing so dont know what to do can anyone advise i am worried as the night temps are getting really low in buckinghamshire

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:55 »
Hi,

I too have hundreds of little green toms not turning - what's more, I'm in Yorkshire and my toms are outside!  :ohmy:

I only grow cherry tomatoes and usually my crop is almost completely ripe by now. So far I've only had two tiny toms - oh dear!!  ::)

At least I'm not alone!!

P
I don't really look like my avatar.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 09:34 »
Welcome to the site leek  :D Feel free to pop back into the welcome forum and tell us a bit more about yourself.  It would also help if you could click your username to edit your forum profile to show your general location otherwise we'll forget!

Have you tried the tips shown earlier in this thread e.g. removing the lower leaves to allow the light and sun (what little there is!) to get to the tomatoes?  If all else fails and temperatures drop much lower, I'd cut off the ones which are the largest and put them on a sunny windowsill near a banana (gives off ripening gas).

I haven't had a single red tomato this year either.  They went out at much the usual time, perhaps a couple of weeks later, but just haven't had the weather to make them thrive.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 14:28 »
Don't fret too much, Leek and Goldfinger, they'll turn red eventually!

I've just given a few pounds of green ones to a chum, because I know he'll put them with all his shop ones, and in a week or so, they'll be ripe enough!

We often pick the green ones for home, in case the blight suddenly gets to us, and we need to move fast.

So - far - touch wood, we've been spared this, but it could still happen...

And we've made eight jars of green tom chutney (sugar free)!

Sue33

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 15:46 »

same problem here, exactly the same, just got back from two week holiday and i have one red tomato in the green house, hundreds of green ones though, have picked half a dozen off and left on the windowsill, here's hoping  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 16:24 »
The 3 varieties in the greenhouse have all ripened quite steadily (some still are) but the outdoor Red Alert which usually race away are now being brought inside to ripen as soon as they look as if are about to turn (the plants look so knackered I don't think they can be contributing much to the fruit's development!)

As long as the toms are a good size (for the variety) and preferably turning a lighter green or yellow they should ripen perfectly well indoors; it's only very small, very green specimens which tend to shrivel up instead of ripen in my experience.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 16:26 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Help - tomatoes still green

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 11:58
by benA*grower
xx
Green tomatoes

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 16:11
by madcat
xx
green tomatoes

Started by flowerpot girl on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 14:26
by lovemyveg
xx
Green Tomatoes!!

Started by plotnumberseven on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 12:30
by gregmcalister

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 38 queries.