Help on Strawberry runners..

• 9 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Help on Strawberry runners..
« on: August 24, 2011, 22:14 »
Hi everyone... Im stumpped here.

Today I was given a huge pile of Strawberry runners that have small tiny roots. They have been cut from the mother plant and given to me to grow..  I tried a few a few weeks ago from another source and only got 3 from 40 to take!! I think I may have planted them too deeply and overwatered and rotted them.. 

What I need to know is if it is worth while trying with such tiny rooted runners? Should I cut off some of the leaves like you do with Leeks and other flowers when growing on? I have planted them just on the surface like they would have been in the bed.. They have very long leaves.. (they may have been fighting for light - cant tell really as I did not see the bed)

Hope my task will be worthwhile and await your advice.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

PrincessJelly

Re: Help on Strawberry runners..
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 22:32 »
I have managed to grow some runners but only by keeping them attached to the plant and putting the base of the sprouting bit into a pot of compost. Once they were established I cut the runner stem off the plant. I would think that once they are removed from the parent plant it is harder (but not impossible) for them to establish just because they have to provide all their own energy.

Sorry, I have not really answered your question but would be interested to see how you get on.

gavinjconway

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 22:48 »
No Princess I suppose you didn't answer my Q  ;)   I will keep the post open with results for you.

I have grown some on my own few plants I was given but these have been cut off the mum a tad early i think... just going to try to get them going.. They were free and I love free!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 22:51 by gavinjconway »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 22:56 »
Even though the "crown" will be very small what there is of it must be just above the soil surface no matter how tempting it is to plant them deeper because they have so few roots.

Yours are obviously pretty delicate at this stage but if you keep them just moist somewhere sheltered and not too sunny they should establish just fine.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gavinjconway

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 23:03 »
Thanks J... I thought as much for the depth of just placed on the soil...  Should I cut off some or all of the leaves??

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 23:07 »
Cut off the oldest and/or weakest of the leaves (that will give the poor feeble little roots less superstructure to have to try and support!)

gavinjconway

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 23:10 »
Will do...

ESSEX GRAY

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 11:00 »
My first attempt to start new plants failed. I pinned down the sprouting runner with a U shaped piece of wire onto a small pot of earth. The plant grew fine and looked very healthy.
I cut the runner and within a couple of days the plant was dead. After watching Monty Don, I tried exactly the same but this time as I cut the new plant from the runner I cut off all the new leaves except 2. This gave the plant a chance to set more roots without supporting top growth. Within days I had good strong healthy plants. I have now taken dozens and not lost one. Hope this helps. Good luck

gavinjconway

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 19:08 »
Thanks  - i'm doing that with my first bunch of 15 plants I was given and they are doing well.. the brand new runners i was given a few days ago are looking ok and few now have new leaves popping up... I have them in my consrevetory at the moment as its just too wet to put them outside in the shade..

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 00:57 »
I've just done mine and I cut the runner quite long and wind it round inside the pot. Then I bury the runner not the crown. This supports the crown a bit on the surface.
Just trim any manky leaves leaving at least 2 and give a dribble of water. Then leave.
I've done mine in 5" pots so they'll be fine to go through the winter outside and ready to plant out next year.
Don't forget to label the variety!!

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
strawberry runners

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 08:00
by crowndale

Page created in 0.666 seconds with 37 queries.