My hens wont come out the hen house!!!

• 3 Replies

chicken george25

My hens wont come out the hen house!!!
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:24 »
Hi all

Ive have just got my new chickens ive had them three days now and they only come out of there house to eat and drink then go straight back in? I have 2 gold partridge pekin bantams and a black pekin bantam, is this normal behaviour? any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

George

Kytie

Re: My hens wont come out the hen house!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:31 »
I wouldn't worry, they're getting used to their new surroundings, so far all they know is their house, so that's where they feel most secure. Give it a couple of days and curiosity will get them out and about. My 3 were the same and I thought they were never going to venture out but they did.  :)

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:50 »
Yup i wouldn’t worry, your problem will come when they get comfy and confident.  Then the issue is getting them back in!!

Once they are settled, try offering treats - leave a few dried meal worms out side the coop so they get a taste for them, then you will be able to start hand feeding them.

If you want them to be really tame, start handling them regularly - they put up a fight to begin with, but if you give them treats while held, they get to like the idea.  Mine run to my feed when a whistle now and wait to be picked up/try and pearch on my arms heh.  They started out like yours, hiding in the nice safe dark coop all day!
I hate signatures but love irony

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:02 »
We had this problem a few years ago with 4 of our girls, we realised that they had been barn raised and had never been out foraging.  It only took a few days before they were relishing free ranging.  Good luck.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

xx
hens wont go in house

Started by jakes-old-man on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 08:26
by joyfull
xx
My hens wont sleep on a perch

Started by Alanb2222 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2020, 14:30
by Ulalume1
xx
New Ex battery hens - wont really venture out

Started by raechi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 14:45
by Hawkins
xx
hens wont let our new girl in the coop- what can we do?

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 20:35
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 36 queries.