• Global Moderator
Re: Courgette failure.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 17:00 »
 :lol: :lol: sorry  :blush:  :lol:  :lol:

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 17:17 »
Mine are similar I'm afraid, in  fact everything I planted out  bsed on dates and not common sense have only just started cropping.

Next year I intend to sow later then I shouldn't get leggy plants which need planting out when the weather is unsuitable. Everyone around me who were late with everything seem to be having much better crops.

:(
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 17:35 »
Being positive  ::) you've got some nice chickweed Lardman (might be a good idea to pull it up before it swamps your Cape gooseberries though!)  :lol:

+ + + +

Ian_P you are right I'm afraid; you can only go by the book when the climate also does, and this year it certainly hasn't!  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Chrysalis

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 21:23 »
What a year!  Our courgettes and squashes have been marvellous  :)- loads better than last year.  Must be the raised deep beds,  ;)but....
turnips and beetroot : terrible!   >:(No accounting for it, is there? ;)

Do like the courgette cake though!!

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 21:35 »
Courgette cake and curd from previous gluts, restricted to two plants of yellow and green this year.
Useless crayon size from the two yellow plants and only one perfect courgette from old faithful 'Defender'.
 :wub:

Next year I intend to sow later then I shouldn't get leggy plants which need planting out when the weather is unsuitable. Everyone around me who were late with everything seem to be having much better crops.

:(

Didn't work for me >:(

A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

SocksOn

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 22:34 »
We managed well by sowing in greenhouse early Feb/Mar  :blink: but anything sown later than that failed.....

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 00:13 »
Try not to laugh all at once.

All of me is laughing in one go.  :D

When did you plant yours? They look healthy enough, just a bit small.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 06:58 »
I think it would be interesting to "map" the poor courgette, squash and tomato crops this year. Observing what people have written its not just those (ridiculous sweeping generalisation approaching) in the North who have suffered.

In our case, the hot weather in April where it reached 25 C brought these plants on very quickly and they were then knocked back by the cold weather and storms in May. Some very odd weather but our courgettes seem to be trying to rally at last!  ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 07:13 »
Extrapolating this, I can see the formation of the British Courgette Council and a link to "Courgette Watch" on the forum home page.  :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 07:44 »
Extrapolating this, I can see the formation of the British Courgette Council and a link to "Courgette Watch" on the forum home page.  :tongue2:

:lol:

You may have something there.  We might (and I stress might) even get the better of that darned courgette fairy then and be able to keep tabs on her  ;)

My courgettes are producing but they have now got mildew on the leaves  ::) Off up the plot later to see if they are hanging in there.  My plot toms got blighted - even the Ferline so fine waste of money on some expensive seeds there  :mad: , but my toms at home are fine.  My cape gooseberries had green cased fruit on them last week so hoping for a crop  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 07:54 »
Don't talk to me about the courgette fairy.

I went away for 10 days, my neighbouring plot holders promised to cut the courgettes. Guess what.

Lardman

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 12:35 »
When did you plant yours? They look healthy enough, just a bit small.

March  :ohmy: They refuse to grow but also refuse to die.

Id love to see some of the senior members failures  ;)  I know you have some hidden secretly behind the compost bin, share them with the rest of us.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 12:38 »
That would probably explain it.

March is way to early, they got cold and stunted and failed to recover.

I refuse to post piccies of my swede.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 12:50 »
I posted a while back about how one of mine was producing masses of male flowers but not a single female. As mentioned, the advice was to cut off lots of leaves, which I did. It has responded by producing LOTS more new leaves and LOTS more male flowers. STILL not a single courgette has been produced. Given that my other two plants have been behaving 'normally', producing an average number of courgettes each, I have concluded that it can't be anything to do with the conditions, the plant actually looks amazingly healthy and vigorous, but something has obviously gone wrong somewhere....  :blink:
Rachael

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 13:01 »
sometimes you get people that are different to the norm, so no reason for plants not to do the same...............I suppose  :unsure: Just annoying when It's one of yours   >:(

xx
Courgette failure

Started by dolby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 17:09
by JayG
xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005
xx
garlic failure

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 23:36
by peapod
xx
Garlic failure...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 05:15
by Growster...

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 38 queries.