Raspberries and glyphospate

• 8 Replies

Elaine G

Raspberries and glyphospate
« on: August 19, 2011, 20:27 »
I have quite a bit of bindweed around the edges of my plot.
I sometimes dose it with glyphosphate in the spring before much is planted.
I was told at a talk recently that you must not use glyphosphate anywhere near raspberries as they send out roots sideways and it will kill them.
Now quite a few things that were said at this talk I know to be incorrect, cos you lot all say so  :lol: so can anyone tell me please if this is correct.
It has not been an issue before as it is the raspberries first year there and I did not spray anything this year.
Thanks for your help

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Trillium

Re: Raspberries and glyphospate
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 20:35 »
Its correct if you generally spray the whole area of raspberries and bindweed.

But not correct if you're just spot spraying on the bindweed itself.

I too have a terrible bindweed problem at times, and glyphosphate is the only way I can stay on top of it. What I do is to tear off most of the top of the individual plant's greenery and leave a short stub, maybe one inch high. And spray carefully and only right on top of that greenery. The glyphosphate will be absorbed directly into the plant's system and down into the roots. While in the ground, the glyphosphate WILL NOT spread out and affect other roots. It will remain contained in the bindweed roots.

Its a slow process crawling, tearing and spraying, but it works and the raspberries are thankful to have less competition.

If you feel the berry stems are too close, then protect with a piece of cardboard and aim carefully.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 20:41 »
My experience is that you have to be very, very careful putting gyphosate anywhere near rasps. The slightest spray drift onto rasp leaves affects them badly.
I use a hand spot applicator to put the weedkiller directly on to the bindweed leaves.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 20:45 »
I should have qualified that I use a hand sprayer rather than a big pumper unit. And the reason I tear off most of the bindweed leaves is so that there's no dripping on raspberry leaves, root areas, etc. It's all contained on the bindweed.

And definitely no spraying on windy days.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 21:32 »
As long as you don't get it on the raspberry leaves they'll be fine. When I took over my plot earlier this year it had raspberries that were swamped with all sorts of weeds, including bindweed and couch grass. I found it difficult to remove established weeds from around the rasps because the weed roots always seemed to go under the raspberry roots! So they had a good dose of glyphosate. The raspberries are now much happier and are fruiting like mad  :) A few weeds very close to the canes remained. I am now treating them by pinning the weed to the ground (so it can't blow up against the raspberry) and painting glyphosate directly on it.

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 21:43 »
Thanks for your answers everyone, you have said exactly what I hoped!
I will only  spray the outer edges of the plot - I have pulled out as much as I can around the raspberries so that will quieten it down for a while.
I'm afraid some of the advice given locally is not up to your standard, thank goodness I have you all to check with.

Cheers

Elaine

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 23:32 »
Raspberries can send their shoots up several feet away from the row. If you spray one of these shoots the glyphosate may travel back along the raspberry root and kill the mother plant. Best to check the spraying area for raspberry shoots and chop them off before spraying.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 06:22 »
One way to get rid of bindweed locally, is to take a jam jar or similar of glyphosphate, dilute of course, and dip as many shoot tips into the liquid. Secure them in the stuff,  cover, and leave them for a while.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 20:25 »
I put some bamboo canes where the bindweed was and grew it several inches up the cane, then took the cane away laid the growth on the ground and tied a small plastic bag with the glyphosate in it to the binweed. Worked very well.

xx
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 07:53
by snowdrops
xx
Raspberries

Started by JackieP on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 18:01
by agapanthus
xx
Raspberries

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 11:02
by debih
xx
Raspberries

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2006, 12:33
by John

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 28 queries.