sad day

• 8 Replies

prettychick

sad day
« on: August 17, 2011, 14:05 »
 :( had to have one of our girls put to sleep today, very sad. She hadn't laid an egg for 2 days and seemed a bit off colour, then this morning she was sat in the coop with a big prolapse and obviously in a lot of pain. We took her to vets straight away and she was put to sleep. Is this a common thing cause dont particularly want to go through this again.

Casey76

Re: sad day
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 14:24 »
Prolapsing is more common in hybrid birds which have been bred for fast egg production, however any hen can prolapse, especially if they are prone to laying large eggs.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 15:33 »
sorry to hear your news, always sad to lose a loved pet
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

prettychick

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 15:50 »
Thank you for your replies. Cant seem to lift myself now, also hope it wasn't anything i did wrong that may have caused it to happen. Dont know if i'll get another or just stick to the 3 i have left. I have been told that introducing a new one isn't easy :(

Kytie

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 15:59 »
So sorry you lost one of your girls, like any pet, it's sad when it happens.  :(

JACDORE

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 16:43 »
So sorry to hear your awful news.  Our last girl went the exact same way.  She hadnt laid in a few weeks and was back and forth to the vet as she was loosing weight too.  She started to improve and even laid us an egg.  We were so pleased and relieved our girl was getting back to her usual self.  Next morning, like you, there she was still in the house, had a look, looked happy but then saw a massive blooming messy prolapse.  She had to be PTS straight away and rushed her to the vets.  They told us, it usually goes that way, just when you think they have turned the corner, something awful happens and there is "NOTHING" you can do about it.  Please remember the good times you had with her hun, same as we do with our lost lil girl.  You made her so happy and thats what matters most of all.  What a great life you both had. 
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

prettychick

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 18:18 »
Its made me feel a bit better knowing that i couldn't have done anything differently, thankyou. She did have a happy life and thats what i have to remember

sarajane

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 21:51 »
Our white Leghorn  Lucy went exactly the same way 2 weeks ago.  Bless her, out of our 5 chooks she laid the biggest of eggs on an almost daily basis, only missing out for four weeks last winter.

Just keep the thought that yours lived a lovely happy life ;) 

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 22:52 »
Sadly it happens and isn't your fault.  Usually this can happen when they first start to lay.  It's not very common I've had it once in 10 years or so and it's usually hereditary. 

Difficult though it maybe you need to be able to cull them quickly yourself in an emergency like this and a major prolapse is not recoverable.  If there's just a small part protrubing say the size of a plum and you catch it early you can sometimes push it back and with constant care to keep it pushed in it may heal OK but when the whole oviduct comes out there's nothing to be done but a swift despatch.  It's all part of keeping chx unfortunately when there's only one thing to be done it's best it's done quickly and efficiently.  Think of this as the one last service you can do for your hen and it's best it's done by someone who has cared for them.

Best wishes
HF
Truth through science.

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 37 queries.