Runny whites and pale eggs

• 4 Replies

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Runny whites and pale eggs
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:10 »
My girls are 18months old now (ex batt offspring) and for the last few weeks their egg shells have been getting paler.  Also, when I break the eggs from my head girl the egg white is quite runny.  Any ideas? 

They have organic layers, shell and grit, and a few scraps (kitchen veg) most days given in the afternoon.  They have a large paved area to roam in (no access to grass).

I do have a problem with one of the girls picking feathers, I have just bought anti-pecking spray to try and tackle. :unsure:
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

kegs

Re: Runny whites and pale eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:09 »
No experience of ex batt hens I'm afraid but hopefully someone with more experience will be able to offer you some advice.  Is it just the eggs you have a problem with?  How are your hens in themselves, do they appear fit and healthy?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:13 »
the whites from my elderly girls eggs are usually runny - still cook ok though  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 00:16 »
The pale shells on their own are no problem - a hen will gradually run low on pigment over the laying season and her eggs will get paler.  After she takes a break from laying, the new-season eggs will often have darker shells again.

The runny white on its own sounds like it's not a problem either, as Joyfull has the same with her older girls.

But once you add feather pecking into the mix I do begin to wonder...   :unsure:

Feather pecking can usually be triggered by a couple of different things - boredom and/or a nutritional deficiency.  The deficiency is usually protein, although it could also be other trace elements.  

There are a few things I would suggest you could try:
  • Change their brand of feed - get another brand of layer pellets, initially mix it in with your old feed until eventually they are only eating the new feed.  Keep them on the new feed for a month and see if anything changes.
  • Add a multi vitamin/mineral mix to their diet.  You can get special vitamins for birds, or I understand 'poultry spice' includes a multi vitamin (we don't have it here so I have no direct experience).  In countries where we don't have specific avian vitamin products, a lot of people use products designed for horses!  Obviously you would only add a sprinkle on their food each day.  Again, keep it up for a month and see if there is any difference.
  • In addition to the feed changes, try some environmental changes.  Have the chickens got places they can hide/explore/get up off the ground?  Try giving them a hay bale or a pile of leaves or wood chips to play with and see if that changes their feather-pecking.

Ex-batts are a special challenge because of there genes and the environment they lived in before you got them, so it may be that none of those things makes any difference to them.  On the other hand, there is no 'down side' to an enriched environment and a few extra vitamins in their food so I think it's worth a try.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 00:19 by Lindeggs »

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:33 »
Thanks for that, I'll give the change of food a go, get poultry spice  and go and get a rotten log from the local woods for them to jump on and peck.  They do have a variety if places to play but they may be bored of them by now!

They have always laid, even through the winter, perhaps they are just tired and could do with a break :(

xx
very pale eggs

Started by pammypods on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 15:09
by pammypods
xx
cuckoo marans pale-ish comb no eggs

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 12:53
by New shoot
xx
One of the girls is laying eggs with watery whites any ideas?

Started by mamashango184 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 17:17
by treacleminer
xx
pale combe

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 11:22
by sussexchook

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 37 queries.