Anybody else not lifted their onions yet?

• 23 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Anybody else not lifted their onions yet?
« on: August 16, 2011, 22:59 »
Mine are still in and I'm beginning to worry about the amount of rain we've been getting lately. They're bent over but still green. Most of them have pushed up above the surface and a lot have started to form the brown outer skin. Incidentally, these were grown from seed rather than sets, so I guess they are later than sets. And I have to say, they are right about growing from seed, not all but quite a lot of them are way bigger than any onion I ever grew from sets :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Anybody else not lifted their onions yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 23:50 »
Back in about March/April I lost all but 10 of about 40 Sweet Spanish Yellow onions I started from seed in early February, but the survivors are still growing quite happily with no signs of dying back so why should I worry?!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:47 »
I have lifted my onion set onions, but my seed ones are still in might lift them today not to sure.  I am only going to grow from seed next year not going to bother with sets.
Thanks
Kris

Debz

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:10 »
My onions (from sets) are still in and far too green for me to think about lifting them yet.  They are not terribly big because the ground isn't the best and the weather has been dreadful.

brown thumb

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:41 »
my onions i grew from sets planted out late end of march is bending over but still green and seems to be just sitting on the soil but i wont be lifting quite yet

Old Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46 »
I lifted all my sets about two weeks ago and the few that hadn`t white rot are drying now. The ones I grew from seed are still going strong with no signs of dieing off yet.
I can remember when it were all fields round `ere.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 16:11 »
I have just read somewhere that you don't lift until you hear the leaves rustling. Having said that, my shallots need to come up and also may look at the onions. So many opinions on when to lift and how to dry off.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 18:03 »
My ones from sets are huge and bent over but still very green.  The seed sown ones are way behind and may only be good for spring onions.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 19:49 »
I grew mine from seed as well and are still in the ground.  I've got six rows and the two that are next to the greenhouse have been deluged by the sweetpeas, which have now been removed, falling on to them, so I'm leaving them, but keeping an eye on them, as the bit at the top of the onion and going into the stalks seem pretty wet to me :ohmy:

I'm growing Mammoth Reds and  the whites are giants as well (can never remember the name).  There are two old codgers who grow them every year and they told me that they don't come out until September, so I'm waiting patiently :wub:

Babs

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 20:26 »
If you're getting a lot of rain lately, I highly recommend you pull them out and let them dry/ripen indoors somewhere.

To leave them in the ground will cause excess water to be absorbed and the onions will not store well when you do pull them. Onions actually need a stretch of dry weather to ripen in the ground, so if you're not getting dry weather, pull them.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 20:29 »
If you're getting a lot of rain lately, I highly recommend you pull them out and let them dry/ripen indoors somewhere.

To leave them in the ground will cause excess water to be absorbed and the onions will not store well when you do pull them. Onions actually need a stretch of dry weather to ripen in the ground, so if you're not getting dry weather, pull them.

Oh, hadn't realised that.  Thanks Trillium  :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 21:23 »
I have only pulled half of them up so far. I think the rest will be pulled out tomorrow.

starry

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 21:42 »
mine are mostly all bent over  and those that are not will come up any way to be used straight away I should have really pulled them up already but as I couldn't get them home from my allotment on my bike this week they will have to wait until next week  :D and I will dry them in the shed  ;)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:45 »
My garden onions are like yours,I`m leaving them for a while longer because the allotment ones had a smattering of white rot,so I lifted all of them,I want to be fairly sure some will keep better overwinter.

Debz

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 11:31 »
Thanks Trillium, I hadn't realised that about the rain either.  I am only growing in my garden though and therefore only grow about 20 onions so there isn't really a big issue with storing them as they won't be around long enough.

xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
Onions lifted, what next?

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 23:05
by SUTTY1
xx
Lifted my onions - what now

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 11:07
by TerryB
xx
Garlic is lifted...very disapointing.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2023, 13:58
by Snow

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 37 queries.