fox

• 15 Replies

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
fox
« on: August 14, 2011, 23:51 »
my wife saw a fox by the fence today  :(
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

edie286

Re: fox
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 23:56 »
Better than being over the fence!!!!!!!

storme37

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 00:03 »
yeah if she had the air rifle with her the old fox would not be feeling well now

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:27 »
yeah if she had the air rifle with her the old fox would not be feeling well now

You shouldn't shoot a fox with an air rifle as it is very unlikely to kill it and it will most probably cause a lot of suffering.  Although as a chicken keeper I don't like to be visited by foxes I don't think inflicting cruelty is a very humane thing to do.  

If you want to protect your birds get an electrified NET (not a ridgid fence).

HF
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:55 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Beano

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:40 »
Reminds me of the morning I saw a fox just the other side of the hedge one morning.
It was 7.30am and I was stood next to the chickens out in the garden when, about 4 yards away in the field the other side of the fence was a fox. He was quite obviously on his way home and did not notice me or the chickens. The chickens didn't notice him. I was the only one that had a "mild heart attack". It had been a very wet night and he/she must have taken all night to find food and was in a hurry to get back to his/her den. PHEW.
El.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:59 »
Reminds me of the morning I saw a fox just the other side of the hedge one morning.
It was 7.30am and I was stood next to the chickens out in the garden when, about 4 yards away in the field the other side of the fence was a fox. He was quite obviously on his way home and did not notice me or the chickens. The chickens didn't notice him. I was the only one that had a "mild heart attack". It had been a very wet night and he/she must have taken all night to find food and was in a hurry to get back to his/her den. PHEW.
dont let it fool you hed have known ure chucks were there,hed ave been out for an easier meal,but when things get hard he,ll be giving youres a look in make sure secure.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 13:33 »

You shouldn't shoot a fox with an air rifle as it is very unlikely to kill it and it will most probably cause a lot of suffering.  Although as a chicken keeper I don't like to be visited by foxes I don't think inflicting cruelty is a very humane thing to do.  

HF

Worryingly this is what I found INSIDE my electric "poultry netting" last week.  It was dead though and on close inspection I could see it had been shot at some point before it made it into my enclosure.  Still very worrying though. :unsure:
deadfox.jpg
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 13:54 »
If it had already been shot, Sue, I doubt it wold be feeling any pain, and probaly would have been so panicked it would have gone through anything.

Very irresponsible of the person who shot it though, not to make sure it was killed outright in the first palce :(

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 15:08 »
As the years go on, they do seem to be getting more and more brazen. I lost my last chook "Miss Red" a few months ago, I was having a drink of water at the sink, I saw Miss Red, so went to say hello, by the time I had reached the back door, a matter of 10 feet and about 5 seconds, she had been carried away. I couldnt believe it, all I could do was follow the trail of feathers until I caught up with her body by the fence. The fox couldnt squeeze her body through the wire squares, he just got her head.

Dominic

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 15:31 »
I'm afraid I cant agree.
I'd prefer they make a quick kill, but a slow kill is preferable to a live fox eating my chickens.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 18:07 »

HF

Worryingly this is what I found INSIDE my electric "poultry netting" last week.  It was dead though and on close inspection I could see it had been shot at some point before it made it into my enclosure.  Still very worrying though. :unsure:

I think it's very unlikely and bizarre this fox got ito the run then died of it's wounds.  More likely someone shot it and threw it into the run.

HF

storme37

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 19:00 »
dominic i think my wife feels the same way lol she feels she has a duty to protect the chickens she thinks they see her as the chief chook and she would have to protect them
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 19:01 by storme37 »

storme37

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 19:20 »
my wife as you may or may not know is chinese i would not be surprised if she cooked mr fox with soy sauce and ginger lol so he better not come back she was last seen patrolling the chickens with a large gun in a Vietnamese hat dressed in black saying something about if uncle sam couldn't beat us what chance has the fox got lol

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 19:42 »
my wife as you may or may not know is chinese i would not be surprised if she cooked mr fox with soy sauce and ginger lol so he better not come back she was last seen patrolling the chickens with a large gun in a Vietnamese hat dressed in black saying something about if uncle sam couldn't beat us what chance has the fox got lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What an image!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

storme37

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 21:37 »
i will try to get a photo

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 37 queries.