Turnips being tunneled by grubs

• 3 Replies

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
Turnips being tunneled by grubs
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:04 »
Hello folks  :)

Been harvesting turnips for a while now and have noticed that they are being attacked as there are drill holes everywhere on the root.  After soaking overnight, I find there are a few little white grubs sunk to the bottom of the bowl. Does anyone know what they are and how I can avoid this problem next year please?  :wub:

Thank you.  Mandy
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Re: Turnips being tunneled by grubs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:27 »
Hi. I *think* what you have is cabbage root fly maggots. Turnips are actually brassicas and therefore suffer from the same pests as cabbages, broccoli, etc. Cover your turnips next year as you would other brassicas. You can buy nematodes to water on your crops too which are supposed to get rid of them, but not getting them in the first place is probably better!

I got Cabbage root fly last year on my cabbages and had to dig them up wash the roots and replant them elsewhere and they did still produce a crop. Interestingly the turnips weren't affected. This year I had no other spring or summer brassicas and so my turnips have been tunnelled! They too will be under the mesh next year! ::)

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 20:57 »
Hi. I *think* what you have is cabbage root fly maggots. Turnips are actually brassicas and therefore suffer from the same pests as cabbages, broccoli, etc. Cover your turnips next year as you would other brassicas. You can buy nematodes to water on your crops too which are supposed to get rid of them, but not getting them in the first place is probably better!

I got Cabbage root fly last year on my cabbages and had to dig them up wash the roots and replant them elsewhere and they did still produce a crop. Interestingly the turnips weren't affected. This year I had no other spring or summer brassicas and so my turnips have been tunnelled! They too will be under the mesh next year! ::)
Thanks for that 1st time veg grower - I'll definitely be covering everything next year.  I guess you learn as you go along, but it's great to have people help you out where at all possible.  :D

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:25 »
No problem. ;) Yep, I've learnt loads as I've gone along, loads from books and magazines and of course loads from other people on here! As for bugs and beasties, at the rate I'm going, soon my entire veg patch is going to be under mesh! ::)

clip
What grubs are these?

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 20:53
by syks grower
xx
grubs in our plums

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2021, 19:01
by jezza
xx
radish grubs

Started by mooncatsmum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 15:32
by Aidy
xx
Little white Grubs

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 16:33
by Aidy

Page created in 1.272 seconds with 36 queries.