How much light to see ?

• 6 Replies

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
How much light to see ?
« on: August 11, 2011, 19:10 »
As we're increasing our flock i have built a new coop ready for them, i have knocked a pop hole out through the garage wall and will build a large run for them.
The coop will be in the garage, i've ensured there is sufficient ventilation for them, however now its in situ, sticking my head through the pop hole to look inside the coop ive realised that its very dark in there.

How much  light do chickens need ? not for laying but to see, as the only light at the minute comes via the pop hole, and the end where the nest boxes are is virtually pitch black.
Also once night time falls and the hole is shut it would leave them in total darkness, i could if needed put a 'skylight' so to speak in the roof etc.

Casey76

Re: How much light to see ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 19:23 »
Well since chickens only sleep in the coop, they don't acutally need any light ;)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 21:28 »
If the coop is in the garage and rain-proofing is not an issue a skylight to gain light from a window would be a good idea . The hens do not need any light at night but will be happier with some when laying and going to roost.
Handy for a quick check on the hens too.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 00:24 »
As you have your nest boxes in the coop, I think a bit of extra light from a skylight would be good.  My chickens seem to have extremely poor night vision (I've seen them walk *smack* into the black mesh around their run at dusk).  If they go to bed a little late, sometimes they miscalculate the jump onto the roosting bar as the light in the coop is so dim.

Also I think it would make it easier for them to know the right time to get up in the morning if they had a bit of extra light, and (especially in winter) extending their daylight hours by only a few minutes has its advantages.

Just a couple of checks about the coop being in the garage:
If you come home at night, will your car lights shine on the coop and disturb the chickens?
Will exhaust fumes from the car get into the coop at any stage (e.g. when you first start the car in the morning)?

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:09 »
Thankyou for the replies,
firstly the question re the car lights and fumes, the garage is a double garage and we tend to drive forwards into it so exhaust fumes wont be an issue, as regards the lights at present the only light coming into the coop is via the vents, which are sort of louvered slats facing down so being hit by a cars headlight shouldnt be a problem either.

I looks like i'll be fitting a skylight, i thought as much when i put my head in and saw the darkness, come night time it would be totally black. The sky light has two options, i can do it out of perspex or simply jig the hole and fix mesh etc

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:58 »
As the coop is already inside another building, it should be nice and cosy and weather-proof.  So personally I would just put mesh over the skylight hole.  Extra ventilation is always good and in parts of the world with a mild climate chicken coops are often built with one whole side made of mesh to maximise the air-flow.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:09 »
that would be the easier option, i could always 'hinge' some perspex to minimise draughts come winter time.

They,ve moved into the new roost and are happy to lay in there, but there still reluctant to go in on there own at night and have to be put onto the perches. 2 out of 2 nights ive moved them now, during the day they wonder in and out of the coop with no problems.

Ive also made a pullet arrangement so i can open and close the pop hole from inside the garage. Its that nice in there im thinking of moving in with them lol

xx
Going 'light'

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 11:59
by pepsi100
xx
very sad :( now with a light at the end of the tunnel...

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 14:12
by lisa80
xx
Light sussex

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:39
by mercury
xx
Light Sussex

Started by slowef on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 21:07
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 37 queries.