Distressed Chick

• 2 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Distressed Chick
« on: August 09, 2011, 13:17 »
Hi all,
A while ago I asked advice on what to do with a chick with splay legs, sadly 4 weeks later I have had to put her down. The leg brace seemed to work a treat, I left it on for 2 weeks and she was fine until 2 days ago when she started to go off her legs. I think there may have been a bigger problem going on :(

I hatched 2 chicks at the time, the other chick is hale and hearty and had been very protective of the other one. Now she is on her own she has been really distressed, she runs around the garden following me like I am her mum, hopping on my shoes when I stand still. If I hunker down she hops on my lap and snuggles in, and when I put her in the little pen and leave her she shouts loudly and paces up and down.

Yesterday was the first day, she is 4 wks old and too young to put in with the others. I have three 8wk old incubator hatchlings in a large pen, and 4 sets of hatchlings with mums ranging from 1wk to 6wks.

I would like to think I have done the correct thing, I gave her a pat and put her in a mesh pen in the middle of the garden where all the others free range and  left her to it. Figured the sooner she copes the better. At night I put her back in her little cage, the one she was in with the other chick.

Will she be ok on her own for now, in a couple of weeks she will be so much bigger and a couple of the other younger birds will be ready to leave there mums then I can put them all together.  Does this sound acceptable?

Any advice badly needed.

Casey76

Re: Distressed Chick
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 14:12 »
Put her in with the 8wk old chicks, and watch for bullying behaviours. :)

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: Distressed Chick
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 14:29 »
Thought about this, did try for a short time yesterday and they did not make actual contact but did have a bit of a gow, she was sooo scared. I'm being soft arn't I!!!

I am at work today and tomorrow, so I thought I may try this on Friday. My plan is to put her in with them on the Thursday night when it's dark and keep an eye on them when I let them into the run in the morning.

Then 8wk olds are lovely girls, they always run for cover if anything kicks off but they are so much bigger than her. Do think this will be the best option, it it gets too nast I can always bail her out.

:unsure:

xx
Creased egg...is someone distressed??

Started by Carla on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 15:39
by chasechicken
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
Chick-O-Dee

Started by Gaz55 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 21:33
by Gaz55

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 31 queries.