BROCK
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

tatto

Somthing is eating my sweetcorn
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 19:17 »
Quote from: "gobs"
we had lot of problems with devastated corn, not on the side where the resident badgers are actively digging stuff up and have no deer.
The damage is such, that we suspect foxes, torn in half pulled down plants, etc. no camera evidence though
gobs

Mine were snaped off, pulled off and torn open and eaten.  We have badgers and foxes,but no deer.loads of squirrels.  Will mesh or something similar help next year?
Or a small electric fence?!!!!!!!

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 19:19 »
electric wire will fix em all including rabbits just have it 3 inch from the soil
 :wink:
still alive /............

tatto

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 19:22 »
we had lot of problems with devastated corn, not on the side where the resident badgers are actively digging stuff up and have no deer.
The damage is such, that we suspect foxes, torn in half pulled down plants, etc. no camera evidence though
gobs

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 19:22 »
I still maintain it's squirrels.  Surely a fox wouldn't eat sweetcorn?  Our squirrels are huge and heavy.  The corn can't hold their weight so it tips over.   They usually eat one cob at a time, then the fox comes along and goes for them.

muntjac

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 19:26 »
fox will eat swetcorn .they take the cover crop ones we sow for the pheasant shooting. id say ita case of you seeing who is doing it / try hanging carrier bags up on the stems . cut the sides down and use the handles cut through to tie em on

gobs

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 21:25 »
As MJ says, fox will eat not just sweetcorn, all sorts, including raspberries.

The fox idea comes from: no deer, thinking like MJ, kinda badger with ladder, but that's a possibility, contrasted by no damage around the badger run, and I'm a bit of a doggie, so when my corn in the confined space bed(between water but, composter, walking stick cabbage) is not damaged and the more open one is, I smell something like dog, that does not fancy walking into confined spaces... might be load of rubbish, just guessing.
Anyway, wire meshing around helps, so it's no climbing little thingies, but it needs to be well secured, my ad-hoc one got pulled down with corn and all one year.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 21:29 »
sory to spoil the no foxes in confined space theory .( stems from an old gamekeepers idea that foxes wont turn corners in a fencing wire gate deterrent .set up..) i have had em toilet blocks .caravan gas sheds  and even living with badgers in the same sett. and living in an old tractor cab  :wink:

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 21:53 »
I'm now extremely disappointed.  I thought foxes were wily carnivores.  To think I even considered feeding it!!!!!!

gobs

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 22:24 »
Oh, Nasturtium
they are so lovely: we had this year a beautiful, enormous bitch (obviously well fed) with one cub, seen early mornings up and down the place... majestic she was. Much improvement on the flying rat of a squirrel really...
Just take it easy, gobs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 22:39 »
Oh, Nasturtium
they are so lovely: we had this year a beautiful, enormous bitch (obviously well fed) with one cub, seen early mornings up and down the place... majestic she was. Much improvement on the flying rat of a squirrel really...
Just take it easy, gobs

My thoughts on fox hunting aside - would you like to speak to a farmer's wife who is a friend of Mrs. DD? She would tell you something from a different perspective.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 23:03 »
Oh yeh, I would

'cause what do I know, anyhow, all this wild life stuff does not really work, it only would work, if there was a chain, but as far as this country goes, nothing that survived has got a natural enemy that survived with them, so from that point on, there is no point... they all just become as pests, because of uncontrolled numbers and protecting them creates an even more unbalanced situation. Might be rubbish, just seems to make sense.

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 23:28 »
Much as I appreciate their majestic side, I think I'd prefer that foxy goes and cleans up the streets of Tottenham than eat my hard-laboured-over sweetcorn!

xx
Re: Somthing is eating my sweetcorn

Started by skippi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 23:05
by Kristen
xx
somthing is eating my broad bean plants

Started by bignig on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 17:17
by bignig
xx
Who's been eating my sweetcorn?

Started by Debbie D on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 23:20
by WirralWally
clip
Grr! What's been eating my sweetcorn?

Started by russellcm on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 25, 2013, 19:48
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 1.869 seconds with 36 queries.