Replacing roof?

• 4 Replies

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Replacing roof?
« on: August 08, 2011, 15:09 »
Hey all again!

My hens are now laying (yay) after a few softies fell out in and around the coop they seem to have settled into proper egg production!

I recently had an issue with Red mite, and while im pleased i have eradicated the little * mostly, i still want to replace the roof.

My coop is similar to this one:

http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch101n.htm

(yes i know its not ideal but when your starting out you don’t know any better and go for a pretty one!)

I have seen the material people talk about (cant remember the name) its ridged.  Do you put it directly on top of the coop, this would leave air holes all the way round as its so heavily ridged.

Does this not cause problems in the winter?  Do you block these up some how?  Or attached the new roof to a piece of wood first??

Sorry might sound daft!

Cheers

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

kegs

Re: Replacing roof?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 15:19 »
We've got the same coop!  If you take off the roof then rip off the felt you will still have the wooden roof onto which you can attach the onduline.  Give all of the surfaces a paint of DE slurry and then fix the roof back onto the coop.  We also replaced the nest box and ladder too, both of which had felt on.  I know the coop looks a bit messy but that's Hillfooters famous 'DE Slurry' which will hopefully prevent red mite.

Hope that helps.
PICT0046.JPG

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 15:19 »
Hi Lew, Using Onduline/Coroline is great as a roof.  The "in built" ventilation is ideal as it is above head height.  just cover the opening in the roof with weldmesh to prevent rats getting in, then attach the onduline :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 15:33 »
Like this!

Hope you can see the weldmesh along the corrugations?

Oh yes you can.  This roof doesn't have a wooden roof under it, and the girls are fine, even last winter when it was so very cold in December!

I thought the idea of using onduline was so as NOT to have a wooden roof for the red mites to hide in.

DSCF0005 (20).JPG
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 15:37 by GrannieAnnie »

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 17:56 »
Hello!

It's not just me thats replacing coop roof!  Had a piece of roof left over from our sectional garage that will do what you have done. Have just been in garage and where you have the gaps in the corrigation there are white foam like pieces to help keep the elements out. Not sure what they are called but I guess your local DIY store may be able to help.

Hillfooter sent me some very useful info regarding red mites (blessed things) using Ficamw which you can order from Bowden and Knights 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

question
Replacing roof on coop advice

Started by doodoo on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 20:18
by doodoo
xx
Replacing a house due to redmite

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 22:40
by orchardlady
xx
Replacing infertile eggs in the Incubator

Started by gsc on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 06:26
by gsc
xx
Run roof

Started by chelle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 19:50
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.