more new mum questions!

• 5 Replies

jennie hennie

more new mum questions!
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:19 »
Hi all
What a brilliant forum,as a newbie I've learnt so much already,thankyou.
I've now got my other bantam back in with mum bantam and her 2 chicks (1 week old) at night, that's good but not sure how to feed chicks chick crumb and hens layers mash seperately.
Also as mum and babes go out in an ark on grass (hope that's ok) should I be providing some sort of grit and if so what? Lydia is free roaming most of the time.
Incidentally being silkie crosses mine go in and out of broodiness all the time, I've tried 'naughty basket'  (cat cage) which sometimes helps!Hatching these eggs was a suggestion to stop Bluebell being broody- whatever the problems nothing will take away the sheer joy of watching our little ones.
Jennie hennie.

Carshay

Re: more new mum questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:15 »
I'm afraid I haven't got an answer for you but logged on to ask the same question - my big girls are gobbling up all the chick crumb and the babies are left pecking around the layers pellets. Tried shutting chicks in the broody coop this morning but although they had a little bit of crumb they were a bit spooked by the girls clamouring for some outside. Hopefully someone will give us an answer!

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:22 »
I'm afraid the only answer is to keep them separate for some time during the day. I keep the broodies and their chicks confined in a run until lunch time and then let them out to free range for the rest of the day. This will have given them an opportunity to eat their chick crumb and when older their growers. The other hens are then quick smart after any left over crumb but at most it's no more than a dessertspoons worth between 40 odd hens. :lol:

Orchardlady

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:28 »
Patches (aka mum) eats more than her fair share of the chick crumb first thing but fortunately the pop hole has a side-to-side opening so when I get up I slide the door across so that only the chicks can get in! Works a treat   :D

jennie hennie

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:36 »
thanks-
Looks like we'll be eggless for some time to come, just discovered Lydia's gone from being broody to moulting ::)
I presume Bluebell will concentrate on being a mum for some weeks yet so won't lay :unsure:then she'll probably moult too!!!!!!
Aren't they fun -Not that keen on eggs anyway.
JH

jennie hennie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:48 »
sorry, another question - do you think it would be ok to house mum and chicks in a large old rabbit hutch? should I poultry shield it ? We're going away and I think it'll be easier for my daughter to look after them in there.

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
A few questions

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 20:35
by Jane-M
xx
Three questions

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 21:51
by westie
xx
two questions

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 10:57
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 36 queries.