peppers and blight

• 2 Replies

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
peppers and blight
« on: August 07, 2011, 21:21 »
Hi,

I think my peppers (in the greenhouse) have blight? The first two started to grow well and got to about 2-3 inches long and then started to go brown/yellow colour at the bottom of them.   The pepper tissue is mushy.   Is this blight?

What should I do?  I have 5 pepper plants and a whole load of tomatoes (not showing any problems yet).  Should have decontaminate the GH?

Thanks, Ian
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

Janeymiddlewife

Re: peppers and blight
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 21:28 »
Could it be blossom end rot?
Found the following

Cause
Blossom-end rot is not caused by a parasitic organism but is a physiologic disorder associated with a low concentration of calcium in the fruit. Calcium is required in relatively large concentrations for normal cell growth. When a rapidly growing fruit is deprived of necessary calcium, the tissues break down, leaving the characteristic dry, sunken lesion at the blossom end. Blossom-end rot is induced when demand for calcium exceeds supply. This may result from low calcium levels or high amounts of competitive cations in the soil, drought stress, or excessive soil moisture fluctuations which reduce uptake and movement of calcium into the plant, or rapid, vegetative growth due to excessive nitrogen fertilization.
Management
Maintain the soil pH around 6.5. Liming will supply calcium and will increase the ratio of calcium ions to other competitive ions in the soil.
Use nitrate nitrogen as the fertilizer nitrogen source. Ammoniacal nitrogen may increase blossom-end rot as excess ammonium ions reduce calcium uptake. Avoid over-fertilization as side dressings during early fruiting, especially with ammoniacal forms of nitrogen.
Avoid drought stress and wide fluctuations in soil moisture by using mulches and/or irrigation. Plants generally need about one inch of moisture per week from rain or irrigation for proper growth and development.
Foliar applications of calcium, which are often advocated, are of little value because of poor absorption and movement to fruit where it is needed.

from
http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/disease/rot-blossomend/index.html

Not sure how to post pics from websites, but hope it isn't for your sake, however it isn't contagious, so provided you get the soil & feeding right, it shouldn't mean your toms are doomed
JMW
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 21:30 by Janeymiddlewife »

Lardman

Re: peppers and blight
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 21:30 »
Its not likely, have a look here http://www.thechileman.org/guide_disease.php specifically  "bacterial soft rot".

xx
Chillies and peppers - blight

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2019, 12:37
by Flowertot
xx
can sweet peppers suffer from blight

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 08:19
by little sweetpeas
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
peppers

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 14:54
by peapod

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 37 queries.