Eglu omlet VS wooden coop

• 218 Replies

compostqueen

Eglu omlet VS wooden coop
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2008, 09:04 »
I use that netting all the time, just re-arrange it regularly so the lawn gets evenly chomped.  I always make it so they can get back into the Eglu though in case of fox or next door's cat etc

My smallest hen can fly over it at will despite being clipped. She doesn't usually bother though :D

Elcie

Re: Eglu omlet VS wooden coop
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2009, 20:54 »
Have read through every post on here as I am currently working out whether to go for Eglu or wooden so perfect.  The Eglu is winning for me at the moment, just have to hope the housing association says yes!

Gaynorja

« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2009, 21:26 »
I bought an Egglu about 9 months ago and have been totally delighted with it. I bought the larger model rather than the small one as we have a good sized garden and I have more than just a couple of hens. The door never sticks like a wooden one and the poo trays are easy peasy to clean. It can be power washed down and is pretty much maintenance free. My only complaint is the mesh run is poor quality (but we don't use it anyway.) 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2009, 21:42 »
Before getting hens I went on one of those omlett chicken keeping visits for beginers even though I knew that I was getting a wooden coop. I must admit i was very impressed with the eglu, and had I been able to have afforded one I would have got one. However as you may have realised keeping chickens is very addictive and as I now have 12 even a eglu cube would not have been big enough. So really you need to ask yourself will you want just 3 or 4 hens or in a years time will you want more.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elcie

« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2009, 22:12 »
Quote from: Bodger
The chickens in the runs are locked in the sheds a night, all my other pens are protected with mains electric fencing.

Foxes can go through brand new chicken netting and in the abscence of the electric fencing weld mesh is safer but really expensive.

Electric fencing is very good in an open field situation.  In a garden however, it is often not possible.

This is my garden.  It is small - 25ft x 40ft

The hens eglu and run are alongside Worzel's workshop which is on the garden boundary.  Foxes are often seen on the roof and can gain access from next door.  There is no way to protect the chooks with an electric fence.  The shrubbery you can see at the top of the garden is their "digging" and "shelter" area.  FoxWatch does give me a great measure of security.  I know a few people who have them and while it is not possible to prove a negative I know of no foxings while the Foxatch has been in use.

Hi could I ask a question please Aunt Sally?  Why do you have the roof over the Eglu?  Is it for shade? Shelter? Protection?  Just wondering as working out where to site mine in the garden and wondered whether to build an additional roof as you have.  Thanks.

compostqueen

« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2009, 22:57 »
they do like a rain shelter  :)

too many girls

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2009, 23:47 »
if i were you i'd go for Aunty's option! i'm almost sure the umbrella is for her chooks and not for her................................and..............they do look really good.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2009, 13:21 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:  Yes. the brolly is for the chooks  ::)  to keep the sun off them when the are in the run.  The roof is to keep the rain of and keep the bark in the run dry and therefore pong free and easy to clean.  It's a very desirable bijou residence  :D

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2009, 13:33 »
Like the plastic roof Aunty, as I have wood chippings I must get to that roof thingy as although I pick up the poo, the chippings soon get wet and smelly from all the blinking British weather. Will have to do that...... 8)
Mad Mark

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2009, 13:39 »
The roof is on a hinge on the shed wall and the front props are in fence metposts so they can be removed.  When I want to do a thorough clean the roof can be swug up out of the way, the props removed and the eglu and run lifted completely away.  Makes it very easy :D

ordinarygull

« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2009, 14:28 »
Hi

I've have an eglu and I'm thrilled to bits with it, although we are about to embark on building wooden coops - the only reason we are doing this, is as like many people our flock is growing, and we don't have room for a second eglu.
(re the red mite question, we did get these last year, however, they were dealt with in one fell swoop and have never returned.....)

I presume we have a fair chance of selling the eglu on ebay, or would anyone recommend another route to sell it?

OG

Elcie

« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2009, 19:34 »
Hi

I've have an eglu and I'm thrilled to bits with it, although we are about to embark on building wooden coops - the only reason we are doing this, is as like many people our flock is growing, and we don't have room for a second eglu.
(re the red mite question, we did get these last year, however, they were dealt with in one fell swoop and have never returned.....)

I presume we have a fair chance of selling the eglu on ebay, or would anyone recommend another route to sell it?

OG

I have just bought one on Ebay and it seemed as if there were a lot of bids on the others on offer so it seems a safe place for a seller to go in my opinion.

Thanks for the responses about Aunt Sally's run, think we will try and do something similar with the roof cover too.

clarabel

« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2010, 22:00 »
Just to add in..

I've had hens for 18 months now. I started out wanting an eglu, but in the end, couldn't justify the cost, so bought a lovely wooden one.

the girls loved it, and so did I, until I got red mite. :mad: I battled with it, and lost. meanwhile, my girls were visited by a fox and so I was hen less. :(

So I made a decision to get more girls ( easy!) :D and also to get an eglu. I bought a second hand one last month for £270 on e bay and collected it . i love it. :lol:

my new girls are happy, and it is so easy to check for mites...I still have  a few cos they live in the area for ages afterwards, and so I check a few times a week. found 4 today, sprayed the with toal kill and i have cleaned out the eglu and coated interior with diatom..
I'm sure it's going to be easier and less stressful! I repeat....I love it!

Clara.x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47 »
yes eglus are so easy to clean, however when you start getting more hens buying enough eglus to house them in can be vry expensive  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2010, 17:55 »
They look good though  ;)

xx
Changing from wooden coop to eglu cube

Started by eveshamchelle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 18:17
by orchardlady
xx
Tips for red mite prevention - moving from Eglu to Wooden coop!

Started by Sootem on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 21:17
by joyfull
xx
omlet eglu's

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 07:12
by smiler43
xx
omlet eglu's

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 15:34
by cejx

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 37 queries.