Implant to stop laying

• 9 Replies

helens-hens

Implant to stop laying
« on: August 07, 2011, 18:34 »
I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge or experience of an implant for hens that stops them laying? I have spent a good half hour online, including looking at the BHWT site (I have heard that ex bats sometimes have this if they develop laying problems) but to no real avail.

One of my rhode rocks has been persistently laying softies (including, totally out of the blue, one or two in front of me on the lawn  :ohmy:) for the last few weeks and I am starting to get quite concerned that it is only a matter of time when an egg will break inside her and I know that can lead to peritonitis.

As far as I know she is less than 2 years old and has access to oystershell etc. It seems a shame to put an end to her egg laying days but her welfare obviously come first. I am thinking about taking her to the vets but would like to have a few facts in my head first. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it

With thanks in advance
Helen

rosie14

Re: Implant to stop laying
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 18:40 »
Hi, really sorry I don't have any knowledge on this subject but someone here will! I am wondering why an ex.battery hen would be given it? I thought they were 'disposed of' as no longer viable for eggs and put into animal food etc. or do you mean this happens when they are rescued/rehomed?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 19:32 »
I have a friend who has had many ex batts and she has used these implants in those who got egg peritonitis from what I remember. She was lucky and had a very savvy vet and couldn't praise this enough. If you like I can ask her about it or put the 2 of you in contact.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 19:52 »
I first heard of it when Lizzie who used to be on here had it for one of her rescues and also for her cockerel to try to stop him being too amorous - worked for the hen but not the cockerel  ::). Sadly Lizzie is no longer on here but I think Aunt Sally also knows all about these implants for chickens.
The battery hen welfare trust are the ones who advised Lizzie.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 20:04 »
ahhhh, to avoid egg peritonitis, got it now!

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 20:35 »
I have a friend who has had many ex batts and she has used these implants in those who got egg peritonitis from what I remember. She was lucky and had a very savvy vet and couldn't praise this enough. If you like I can ask her about it or put the 2 of you in contact.
Hi Kate - if you wouldn't mind asking her that would be great or if you want to pm me her email or vice versa (not quite sure how the pm works though - haven't used it yet!) whatever is easiest. Thanks very much

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 20:39 »
I first heard of it when Lizzie who used to be on here had it for one of her rescues and also for her cockerel to try to stop him being too amorous - worked for the hen but not the cockerel  ::). Sadly Lizzie is no longer on here but I think Aunt Sally also knows all about these implants for chickens.
The battery hen welfare trust are the ones who advised Lizzie.
Thanks Joyful - I might try & directly contact BHWT about this (I was just trawling through their website before). Aunt Sally if you happen to see this thread I would be interested to hear what you know about them.

Many thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 14:00 »
My vet offered to put an implant in one of my hens but sadly she already had peritonitis and it was better for her to be put to sleep.

The implants are still in the experimental phase and not fully licenced for pet poultry yet so many vets don't know about it.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 19:16 »
Some implants that you can get just stop the laying for a while, for example if they have a prolapse and you don't want them to begin laying straight away.  They are off lay for a few weeks/months, and then they start again (not sure if the implant falls out or something  ??? ) but my friend has got it done for her Ixworth who has prolapsed twice
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 13:36 »
Thanks for everybodies responses on this. Have decided to take her to the vets (booked in next Monday) to see what they say.

Will let you know what happens!

xx
Did I stop her laying?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:35
by compostqueen
xx
what to do with chickens when they stop laying

Started by mumbley joe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 22:09
by New shoot
xx
Hens stop laying

Started by Lorna on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 14:57
by JayG
xx
Hot weather stop laying?

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 17:30
by moomoos42

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 37 queries.