when an egg is layed do you clean it before use if so what do you use ?

• 15 Replies

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
I know that eggs are porous, so when an egg is layed do you clean them to stop any nasties before putting them to store or use, if so what do you use ? or is it best not to use owt ?   :wacko:

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Best to just leave them as they are  ;)  When washed you take off the protective film and open the shell up for bacteria to get in.

Hope this helps  ;)

Ice

• muck spreader
Completely agree with min200. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
me too!  if really mucky, you can just wipe it with dry tissue or something, but otherwise, just leave the eggs until you need to use them.

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
thank you, i thought i'd better check to be on the safe side  ::)

farmerGiles

I've been rinsing them in fairy liquid.  ???

timtheenchanteruk

ooops, don't do that...

TBH, I wipe any excess off with a cloth before storing, and don't bother cleaning them any further unless I'm boiling them. in which case its a bit of warm water, working on the principle that any bugs will be killed off the shell when I cook them.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
The best idea is to put lots of effort into making sure the eggs don't get dirty in the first place - so much easier (and safer) than trying to clean off the muck afterwards. 

If you often get dirty eggs you might like to check that your hens aren't sleeping in their nest boxes.  Also make sure the boxes have a good cover over them so poo can't drop in when they are roosting, that the bedding in the boxes is changed often and is a suitable material, etc.

Also make sure that your chickens have a 'door mat' to wipe their feet on if they are coming in from a muddy run.  Hillfooter has posted photos of his setup and I remember he lays old pallets down outside the coop door, in a covered area.  That way the chickens have to walk over the pallets and it helps clean their feet before they go indoors.

If you have a bit of muck on the shell, it's often suggested that you leave it to dry then sand it off with fine sand-paper.  That way you're not forcing it in through the porous shell.

stentman

• Experienced Member
When washed you take off the protective film and open the shell up for bacteria to get in.

Just out of curiosity (I don't keep hens) how do the commerical boys get them clean, without letting bacteria in?
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Sassy

In a commercial set up the egg rolls away when laid so never gets the chance to be pooped on! It is possible to get roll away nest boxes for the back yard keeper. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
I read that some commercial units have special egg washing facilities.  Can't remember what site it was though.  It did mention that class A eggs were not allowed to be prewashed.  Might be that they are only allowed to wash eggs used in baking or catering and not for sale to public.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
yes there are special egg washes and liquids for the commercial farms but as you say they are not for class A and our eggs are class A+ in my opinion  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
yes there are special egg washes and liquids for the commercial farms but as you say they are not for class A and our eggs are class A+ in my opinion  :D

Without a doubt.   :D

Sue33

sometimes i wipe the eggs with a dry piece of kitchen roll.......

Beano

I find that the eggs get muddy when it's raining. The chickens roll them over with muddy feet. I just wipe the eggs with a piece of dry kitchen roll.
El.

xx
Hen not layed since being on antibiotics

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 16:30
by splash101
xx
Blood Smears on a Layed Egg???

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 21:38
by Abacus
xx
3 layed their first eggs today

Started by babe on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:12
by babe
xx
my chicken has just layed a soft egg

Started by ells chickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 22:31
by ells chickens

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 36 queries.