Two questions about potatoes

• 3 Replies

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
Two questions about potatoes
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:56 »
Hiya, I have a couple of quick potato questions:

Question 1:
the above-ground growth on some of my maincrop potatoes has really died back in the last few weeks. I wondered if they should be dug up, or if they are likely to keep growing down below/will be ok in the ground.

They are desirees, planted on the 17th of April, in the south of england, into ground that had squash in last year, and prior to that nothing but comfrey and brambles in 10+ years. The topgrowth has been pretty impressive - 3ft maybe or so, and there have been a lot of potatoe-tomatoes, or whatever you call them.

They're on the LHS of this pic, it's a bit hard to see, but they're yellowing, and a bit colapsed, whereas the PFAs on the right are still green and fairly upright.

Question 2:
Both my first earlies (arran pilots) and 2nds (Charlottes), planted into ground as above, in early april, have given really large potatoes - typically a decent yield, although not massive, but concentrated in relatively fewer big potatoes (like big baker sizes) rather than lots of smaller ones, as i would expect for earlies.

Is this just luck of the draw, or is there some potential reason for it? The Arrans were harvested mainly in june/july, the charlottes have been coming up since mid july.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Salmo

Re: Two questions about potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 16:18 »
1. This is what I would expect to see, the PFA are a vry late maincrop. Both are fine to leave to grow a bit more.

Be careful now because the weather conditions are right for blight. PFA is very suseptable to blight and is usually the first to get it. Both will have produced a reasonable yield by now and at the first sign of blight I would cut off all the tops at ground level and then leave them for 2 weeks at least before lifting. This allows the skins to set and lessens the risk of blight spores on the soil surface getting on to the tubers.

It is OK to compost the tops even if they are infected but cover the heap to prevent spores spreading on to other peoples crops. The spores will only survive on live plant material so they will not carry over to next year in the compost. Never put any blight infected tubers on the compost heap as they may survive the Winter.

2. Many of us have seen this. Dry season? Warm April? Have to accept with grace whatever nature presents us with.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 19:42 »
I'm just echoing Salmo's advice and to say that we also had some very large first earlies from Arran Pilot --- quite a surprise  :D :D

And I shall keep a close eye on my PFAs which are one of my favourites and I should be sorry to lose the crop to blight  :unsure: :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 22:19 »
many thanks.

Have been doing a little reading about blight, and dreamed about it yesterday :O

xx
Potatoes - a few daft questions?

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 17:02
by mumofstig
xx
Two (probably silly) questions about growing potatoes

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 20:53
by Noah'strolly
xx
Chitting potatoes and shallot questions ?

Started by Chris C on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 07:47
by DD.
xx
Silly (possibly) questions regarding potatoes

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 20:16
by DD.

Page created in 0.828 seconds with 36 queries.