New mums

• 2 Replies

jennie hennie

New mums
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:59 »
Bluebell, my bantam cross, has just hatched some eggs. I've ended up with 2 beautiful healthy chicks, I think they were orpington/rhode island cross. The chicks are doing everything well but mum doesn't seem to be eating or pooing much.She's a brilliant mum, but whatever I offer her she wants to feed it to the chicks. There's plenty of chick crumb available, is that ok for her?
Also they're still in the nest box as it's wet today.When can I let Lydia my other bantam cross back in with them.
Any advice for 2 new mums, Bluebell and I !

orchardlady

Re: New mums
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 17:29 »
I would keep Lydia away from Bluebell and her chicks for the moment although within sight is not a problem as you may find that Bluebell is aggressively protective of her new offspring. Don't worry about Bluebell not eating and offering everything to her new chicks this is all perfectly normal. She will probably keep the babies close by her for the moment in the broodie coop and probably bring them out tomorrow or even the day after. Just make sure there is chick crumbs and water available. As for poo don't you worry one bit that will come shortly! I'm sure you have experienced the delights of a broodie poo. Well that will be just the same one more time either in the broodie coop or out in the run when she brings them out. Just dispose of it and slowly her poo will get back to normal as she starts to scratch and move around again.

Orchardlady.

jennie hennie

Re: New mums
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 18:15 »
thanks, that's put my mind at rest

xx
Both mums molting?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 18:30
by chloe
xx
Newby with 2 New Mums & 5 chicks!

Started by StephRF on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 08:42
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 36 queries.