new chook that's sneezing

• 3 Replies

Chirpychick

new chook that's sneezing
« on: August 03, 2011, 21:58 »
hi all, :) we had 2 new hens this week :) a sussex star and a goldline who i noticed is sneezing is this anything to worry about? she is around 18 weeks old and i had her from a reputable place, i was thinking of putting garlic cloves in the water hoping this would help ? they have been bullied a little and i'm hoping this will stop soon as its very mean :( we also have 2 black rock and 3 coco moran all of which lay everyday and are constent entertainment for my little girl lol
oh and another quick note about the eggs one seems to be laying  bigger eggs since we have had her as they were all the same ish size we have had these hens only a month and were learning fast lol  we give the girls greens such as cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce but haven't given weeds as i'm ot sure what to give and when they are free they seem to by pass the weeds anyway :( have lots of those lol  many thanks kate and her chooks x x

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: new chook that's sneezing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 22:11 »
Usual advice would be to keep new hens separate from existing flock for about 2 weeks, so that any illnesses like this one don't spread. But I think they are all in together already?

There seem to be 2 schools of thought about sneezes in recently moved hens, the stress of which can trigger illnesses in hens. One is to keep a careful eye and see if it clears up on its own. If they are eating, drinking and active I personally would give it a few days. Obviously if they deteriorate then off to vet.
The other is that it could be a respiratory infection that needs treating with antibiotics and so would need a vet trip, taking the effected chook with you and getting enough anti-bs for all chx.

Don't worry about bigger eggs, they often seem to get better at laying after the first few weeks and will lay bigger eggs.

Chirpychick

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 22:24 »
yes we put them together straight away as the lady at the domestic and rare bread fowl trust said to do so and as i thought they would know best i did so,   :wacko:derr should have thought a little more tho! they are active and eating when the others give them chance, if it is sick could i not take it back as we only got them Tuesday surly they should have some sort of health guarantee? thank you for your reply x

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:13 »
If your hen is seriously ill, you could certainly try contacting the seller and explain the situation and ask for a refund.  Unfortunately because you have already mixed them in with the rest of your flock, if the chicken was seriously ill it's likely the disease will have spread so you would still need to treat the rest of your flock anyway.

I agree with henamoured that you should probably treat the sneezing one as if she has a common cold.  Make sure she has plenty of access to good food and fresh water (put extra containers out if the others are chasing her away), make sure they have warm, dry bedding, and just watch her to see if her symptoms get worse.

My Light Sussex was sneezing when I got her home, then she developed a rattly chest and I took her to the vet.  By that stage she was seriously ill, but fortunately antibiotics cleared up her chest infection and she made a full recovery.

Since then my other chickens have all had times when they have been a bit sneezy and/or had runny noses but they have all recovered by themselves without me having to do anything.

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
sneezing

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 17:21
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sneezing hen

Started by newchickenkeeper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 10:56
by ANHBUC
xx
Sneezing hen.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 10:30
by joyfull

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 36 queries.