New to this site!

• 7 Replies

millypede

New to this site!
« on: September 19, 2007, 00:07 »
Hello there.  I found this site the other night, it was late and I had a sick chicken.  Sadly, before I could properly register to be able to ask any advice, she died.  My hens are all rescue battery hens.  Ive had them for 3 years, so she could have died of old age as I never really know how old they are when you rescue them.  She had a very messy bum and was very listless and sleepy, the eyelids were closing!  Any advice is welcome.  I have since given them all a dose of homeopathic worming treatment in their drinking water.  Fingers crossed.  All the others are very happy!  This is a great site for like minded people.  I'll be back soon.  Meanwhile, good night to all and watch out for un expected frosts!
Millypede, freelance chef and gardening nut!
Sharpen up your cooking skills with Camilla!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
New to this site!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:07 »
Hi Millypede, 3 years eh?  They are doing well.  We rescued 50 1 year ago, and another 20 at Easter, but 20 have since died on us.  Battery hens are about 72 weeks old when they are dumped, or in the case of the newer Goldlines and Amberlinks breeds, up to 80 weeks.

And they are only bred for egg laying, not long life, so at 4.5 plus, yours are old girls, and I for one am proud of you!!!!!

How many are still laying?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New to this site!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:07 »
Hi and welcome Millypede :) , sorry to hear about your hen, but no matter what at least you know she had a good life with you far better than what she had to start with.

As for their age I think they are usually about 72 weeks old when they are dumped from the battery so that would make yours 4.5 ish well done  :!:  for giving them a chance.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
New to this site!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:22 »
SNAP Richy      :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New to this site!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 17:13 »
I don't think there is much we can teach you about keeping chooks if you've managed to keep your exbats for 3 years ...  well done  :D

millypede

New to this site!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 22:59 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hi Millypede, 3 years eh?  They are doing well.  We rescued 50 1 year ago, and another 20 at Easter, but 20 have since died on us.  Battery hens are about 72 weeks old when they are dumped, or in the case of the newer Goldlines and Amberlinks breeds, up to 80 weeks.

And they are only bred for egg laying, not long life, so at 4.5 plus, yours are old girls, and I for one am proud of you!!!!!

How many are still laying?

Hi Grannieannie, thanks for response.  I had 8 to start.  One died a while back, and then the one yesterday.  I have a mutant cockerel who is definately a eunuch of cockerals, no sexual interest in them at all.  Infact my dad gave him to me as he was getting a hard time with some of my dads cockerals for not being manly enough! On a good day I get 5 a day.  Today there were four.   :D Im buying a small piece of land that currently has some poultry which I will be inheriting.  There are 7 chucks and a cockerel.  One guinea fowl (I'd like more, love the noise they make) one indian runner duck who is gorgeous and a pair of geese. So in a couple of weeks mine will be moved to the plot of land and intergrated with the others.  I'll keep them seperate for a week or two so they can check eachother out through the fence before they all go in together.  Don't know anything about geese.  Only that they can be quite aggressive.  Will they eat the same as chickens?  Mine eat extremely well as I am a chef.  So they have lots of boiled up peelings and veggie leftovers as well as mash and mixed corn.  Can you over feed them, never known a fat chicken!

millypede

New to this site!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 23:06 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I don't think there is much we can teach you about keeping chooks if you've managed to keep your exbats for 3 years ...  well done  :D

Thanks Aunt Sally.  They are most rewarding creatures, I love 'em! :D
I'll have to get some more ex-bats soon.  Its great to know this forum exists.  If I can offer anyone any cookery tips please just ask away!

muntjac

New to this site!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 23:50 »
yups fat chickens dont lay and get poorly quicker . lean chickens are fitter
still alive /............

xx
Where to site the Ark?

Started by francais on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 19:28
by francais
thumbup
new to the site

Started by providence wayne on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 10:19
by Pertelotte
xx
newbie on site

Started by spizanne on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 20:06
by spizanne
xx
Site security

Started by Batty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 11:03
by Pol

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 36 queries.