What is causing this?

• 8 Replies

ycholmes

What is causing this?
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:45 »
One of my young Cuckoo Marans has got a funny rear end.  Her poo is normal and always has been.  She is fine in herself, eating, drinking and running around as happy as can be.  However, I am needing to give her a rear end bath every Sunday (which she doesn't seem to mind) to wash away the smelly mess around her vent and feathers.  I am wondering if it is to do with the gland there.  It looks wet and stickyish and lots of white crystally bits (almost like wet chalk - definitely not lice eggs).  Can anyone help?  Is it a big problem?  Can I stop it?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: What is causing this?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:52 »
Sorry can't help but a Moderator will probably move this to the Hen House where you should get some answers.

Hope you get some promp replies.  Good Luck.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 18:37 »
Hmm, that's a strange one!  Unless she has a problem with her preen gland, I don't think it could be that.  (The preen gland is at the base of the tail, and therfore quite a long way fro the vent)

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 18:49 »
Are you supplementing calcium or adding it to her food as either limestone flower or oystershell grit? 
You say her droppings are normal but what you describe sounds like urinate salts to me which could be as a result of excessive calcium.  I wouldn't expect a dirty bottom if her droppings were normal so that doesn't sound right.  Has she got a prolapse (like a red balloon) sticking out of her vent when she produces her droppings or eggs.  Is she still laying and are the eggs normal?  Is she getting fresh clean water daily and does she drink a lot?  Could you describe her diet? 

HF
Truth through science.

ycholmes

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 18:47 »
I am so sorry for coming back sooner only our computer has been down.  I have to agree in saying it looks very much like urates.  They haven't started laying yet still young - about 20 -21 weeks.  No red balloon or not that I can see.  I give them layers pellets and clean fresh water at all times.  When we are at home they are out in the top garden in the grass and other weeds.  I don't give treats only to get them to go back in the run at the end of the day then it is just a couple of handfuls of mixed corn.  They had all been on anti biotics in the water (Tylan) because when we had the extreme heat one of our orps got a respiratory infection as she was broody and would not come out of the house.  Now they have been off the antibiotics nearly 5 weeks now all are fine and happy, just this funny messy rear end.  I did wonder if it was to do with the preen gland as it does appear oily.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 00:38 »
I am so sorry for coming back sooner only our computer has been down.  I have to agree in saying it looks very much like urates.  They haven't started laying yet still young - about 20 -21 weeks.  No red balloon or not that I can see.  I give them layers pellets and clean fresh water at all times.  When we are at home they are out in the top garden in the grass and other weeds.  I don't give treats only to get them to go back in the run at the end of the day then it is just a couple of handfuls of mixed corn.  They had all been on anti biotics in the water (Tylan) because when we had the extreme heat one of our orps got a respiratory infection as she was broody and would not come out of the house.  Now they have been off the antibiotics nearly 5 weeks now all are fine and happy, just this funny messy rear end.  I did wonder if it was to do with the preen gland as it does appear oily.

Hmmm is she losing condition, getting thin and emancipated or a pale shrivelled comb at all and did this condition only start recently?
I don't think it's any thing to do with her preen gland.
HF
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 00:42 by hillfooter »

ycholmes

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:46 »
No she is not getting thin or looking unwell at all.  This started shortly after I got her and has been going on for a while now.  Sometimes she is not too bad but other days it really is looking wet/oily and smelly.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 23:19 »
Out of interest HF what do those symptoms mean?

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 02:52 »
Out of interest HF what do those symptoms mean?

Well one common disease which can suddently strike at maturity is Lymphoid Leukosis.  A rather nasty and usually fatal disease which is passed vertically through the egg and has a 16 to 24 (typically) week incubation period.  One symptom is as you describe others are emancipation and depression which don't fit your hen so fortunately it doesn't look like this is likely. 

You can google for LL and check it out but don't become a hyperchondriac otherwise you'll start thinking it's every disease under the sun.  The good news is that she doesn't appear to be depressed and is still eating and drinking well.  Did this condition start after the a/b treatment?  It could possibly be connected.  Killing off the normal gut microfauna will allow it to be repopulated possibly by harmful ones.  Probiotics are worth considering after a treatment of a/bs as at least in theory they encourage repopulation with helpful bacteria.  I don't ascribe to feeding yogurt as a regular thing though but there are lactose free probiotics which might be worth a try.

Other possibilities are a kidney infection or possibly if she's free ranging she may be picking up a toxin from the compost heap or similar.  Is she laying?

Could be worth consulting your vet again it it continues.

HF

xx
four broodys causing chaos with laying

Started by taximan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 21:46
by joyfull
xx
Stress causing digestive problems?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 21:42
by kitkat

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 37 queries.