more than one egg per day?

• 9 Replies

julieann

more than one egg per day?
« on: August 01, 2011, 18:53 »
Hi I'm new to keeping chickens. I thought they only laid one egg per day? I  came in tonight and found 3 eggs (2hens), over the moon but didn't realise they could lay more than one a day. Now im doubting myself did I miss one yesterday and find it today....pretty sure I didnt though.....can anyone clarify? Thanks

Nosher1964

Re: more than one egg per day?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 19:32 »
Hi,

Normally, the best (hybrid) girls lay every 25 hours, so, depending upon when you last looked, I guess it's possible....

For example, if you last looked at 10am yesterday, but 11am today then one of the girls may have laid twice.

Hope this helps.

Nosher1964.
Best Regards,

Nosher1964

julieann

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 21:32 »
no I looked in at 7am this morning, I changed the newspaper under their perches and considered putting more shavings in the nest box but didnt. there were no eggs then. I had taken the eggs out from the day before still on the bench in the kitchen, so no doubt about that.Ive just been reading that a white leghorn laid  371 eggs in 365 days in 1979; a world record, so I guess that means it is possible. If she hasn't laid two eggs then Ive somehow missed one days before and left it in a corner...but i doubt that  :unsure: I'm going to be really vigillant in future and keep a close eye on times i collect the eggs. Also even if i collected yesterdays eggs early, say 9am and then checked at 12.30pm today, one of them has laid twice within 27 hours  ???

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 22:53 »
Yes it is possible - unusual but possible!  Often the second egg will have a weaker shell as the shell end of the chicken's 'conveyer belt' just can't keep up with the rest of the production line.  

I would also have thought that the first egg would be laid first thing in the morning (possibly held over from the night before) and the second egg would be laid last thing in the evening.  But apparently your girl is just super-productive!

Of course she will be putting a strain on her system with all this productivity, so make sure she has plenty of fresh water, good food, and access to extra shell grit in case she feels the need for it. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 23:23 by Lindeggs »

julieann

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 23:22 »
Hi yes they are free ranging in the garden most of the day, have their layers pellets and always plenty of fresh water. They have their own water in their container but love to drink from a large dog bowl I keep in the garden. I think it is my bovan goldline that has laid two, I got her about 6 weeks ago at about 21 weeks old and she has consistently laid every day from day 1!The second one, another hybrid, a mrs pepper pot is also now laying pretty much every day  :)

Thanks for the replies,I'll let you know if it happens again

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 23:26 »
My chickens have fresh water lovingly provided by me - and they choose to drink out of a puddle under a leaky pipe!  ::)

It sounds like your girls have everything they need for a healthy and productive life.  Please do let us know if Ms Goldline does it again - I'll be very interested.

julieann

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 23:42 »
Thanks I'm really enjoying having them, its unbeleivably restful sitting having a cuppa whilst they quietly 'cluck' around the garden.
I will certainly keep you posted if she does it again, i'm going to keep a record of eggs and when they r collected so I can be sure

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 23:46 »
One of our 2 bovan goldlines lays two eggs a day sometimes.  Unfortunately they are soft shelled.  She also lays double yolkers which are huge.  We have come to the conclusion that the two soft shelled ones are a double yolker gone wrong.  :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:40 »
one of my girls used to lay 2 a day in the first couple of months of laying, shes settled down now to one a day, my other girls also usually manage one a day, but do have a day off or two a week.

Jacinta

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 13:58 »
Mine girls occasiaonally lay more than one a day, they're happy and healthy so i'm not worried!

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 36 queries.