How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

• 65 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How is your sweetcorn doing so far?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 09:28 »
The kernels should be milky when tested but they won't be a good yellow colour until they're cooked :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 09:31 »
I'm a little confused re: harvesting Sweetcorn. I'm growing the variety Lark. The silks are brown but when I peeled back the husk the sweetcorn is still white underneath. I pierced a kernel and it is slightly watery still so I pressume it is still ripening. Do I just leave the corn until it goes yellow and the kernels are creamy when pierced?

Yes! (Very thin cream; if it's thick you are too late!)

Some varieties are lighter coloured than others, but the juice consistency is a reliable test.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 09:40 »
Thanks for the replies. They do still look whitish though and no where near yellow. I'll pull one today and try. I'm very looking forward to tasting these. x :happy:

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 10:58 »
I was quite pleased with mine until I read this! I only planted out 10 plants, two of which got blown away the next day when we had some gales a couple of months back. The rest - for me - seem to be doing great. They're all about 2 feet high and looking very healthy. But that seems to be on the small side compared to some of the "disasters" described above  ;)

And there are no flowers or cobs developing yet.... when should I start to worry? Not that there's anything I can do, but I was not expecting anything to develop until later anyway.... :unsure:

Sue33

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 11:00 »

mine are looking good, tassels and silks going brown, 2/3 cobs on each plant, they're a lot shorter this year though  ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04 »
I was quite pleased with mine until I read this! I only planted out 10 plants, two of which got blown away the next day when we had some gales a couple of months back. The rest - for me - seem to be doing great. They're all about 2 feet high and looking very healthy. But that seems to be on the small side compared to some of the "disasters" described above  ;)

And there are no flowers or cobs developing yet.... when should I start to worry? Not that there's anything I can do, but I was not expecting anything to develop until later anyway.... :unsure:

If they are still growing they're doing ok. Just have to hope the weather is kind and allows them to produce cobs before the weather gets too cold. Good luck

Debz

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 11:23 »
Lazza, mine are the same as yours.  They look well enough and they are not in my way so I am just going to let them carry on in the hope of a long warm late summer.

Lazy-al

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 12:45 »
Well i'm slightly more optomistic now, although my plants are only a foot tall, i popped up the allotment on the way to work this morning and low and behold, i have a few more with flowers . not only that but i have 4 plants that have started forming silks. i could end up with a cob or 2 after all.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 13:07 »
When testing for ripeness, i prefer another method as i find once you have peeled back the leaves to test the corn, all sorts of pest decide to eat them :(.

once the tassles have turned brown, i feel for a 'rounded' end rather than a pointy one.  this method works better for me ;)

tlm1965

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 13:24 »
Mine was doing ok, ready to harvest. I was going out the next day to harvest them. A blooming badger had them all. >:(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 13:31 »
When testing for ripeness, i prefer another method as i find once you have peeled back the leaves to test the corn, all sorts of pest decide to eat them :(.

once the tassles have turned brown, i feel for a 'rounded' end rather than a pointy one.  this method works better for me ;)

If you can be bothered, use a Stanley knife to make a tiny slit about half way up the sheath around the cob (just enough to get a fingernail in but causing minimal invasion of its protection.)

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 17:32 »
Ours did very badly think it was the odd summer weather
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

SocksOn

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 18:50 »
Glad I'm not the only one who's arent doing amazingly well - thought I had a good succession going but for some reason the ones that are about a foot high have flowers so maybe baby corn??? lol or compost me thinks *sigh* it was the drought like weather we've had recently

Lloyd

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 19:18 »
Ours only grew to about two feet tall, each have two small cobs and the silks are browning. I'd like to leave them a bit longer but last year everyone elses cobs were scoffed by rats. Ours were later varieties, so we escaped that. This year though ours are earlies............................................. :(
"Fine words butter no parsnips". John Major.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 10:13 »
My Swift (first year of growing this variety) are beginning to get brown tassles.  One plant has 5 cobs on it.  None of them are very tall but they are looking promising...

Last year I grew a heritage variety and by the time it got going it really missed the boat so we hardly got any.  Hence going for a fast variety this year.

Will be interested to see hw much flavour it has though. 

(Mine were started in Rootrainers, if it makes any difference?).

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

xx
sweetcorn

Started by Storeman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 10:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 22:58
by honeymelon
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 13:10
by Y.E.A.H
xx
sweetcorn

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 17:41
by Tattyanne456

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.