How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

• 65 Replies

Totty

Re: How is your sweetcorn doing so far?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 23:12 »
I hqve grown swift as well, plants range from about 3-4 foot, but nice and sturdy, all tassles are out now. Is it usual for slugs to munch on the tassles?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 00:22 »
i have two batches of 'supersweet'...sorry I cant remember the name and i am away from my seed box at the moment.  However, one batch that i started very early indoors, then moved into the greenhouse and then planted out quite early (during that warm spell in spring), are about 5 ft high and all have 2 good looking cobs on each.  Hopefully they are about 3 weeks away from eating.....cant wait :)

the second batch, that i sowed according to the packet (May, i think) are only about 2 ft high and are really struggling.  i doubt i will get anything from them this year. :(...i was hoping to get successive crops, although considering the strange weather we have had this year, i am grateful to at least have one good looking crop for the effort.  ::)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 06:06 »
I'm growing Rising Sun F1 Hybrid, a good performer in our 'indifferent British Summer' apparently!! So far so good, plants tall, 6', and healthy with roughly 3/4 cobs per plant. I keep giving them a shake to pollinate them so we'll see if anything happens!!  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 10:18 »
I hqve grown swift as well, plants range from about 3-4 foot, but nice and sturdy, all tassles are out now. Is it usual for slugs to munch on the tassles?

That's a long slither for a slug for something I wouldn't have thought was their usual sort of snack!  :ohmy:

Have you actually caught them in the act?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 21:21 »
Mine are Incredible f1, and it's the first time I've grown sweetcorn too. Silks are forming  :). Having followed advice, I gave them a dose of fbb to give them a boost  :).

Anyone tried Sun Dance f1? I'm told they're really good and I'm awaiting a sample  :)

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42 »
I planted Swift  - 2 ft high  - tassels are out - silks ( cobs ) just appearing - I am in the Midlands - I get the impression mine are a bit small - Others on our allotemnt are 3 ft tall and look like they are about 2/3 weeks ahead - may be a diffrenet variety though.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 11:47 »
I've grown Rising Sun F1 and harvested the first cob yesterday

mmmmmmmmmm  :D :D

After my disaster last year growing two kinds near each other  :tongue2: I am relieved to have somthing edible this year  
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 13:31 »
Mine are Golden Bantam Improved - the plants are about 5ft tall but no sign of anything yet.

madcat

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 13:41 »
Mine are Kelvedon glory and they are about a foot shorter than they were this time last year.  The tassels are starting to open out, but cobs are few and far between.  Last year I got mostly 3 cobs from each plant. 

The big difference this year, other than the obvious of the cold May and June  :(, is the watering - last year I put 2 cans of water on the patch (28 plants) every morning.  This year, he has been in charge of watering and it turns out wasn't watering the sweetcorn.   >:(  For the sake of the peace we are blaming the weather!   :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lazy-al

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 13:07 »
I think i will be taking mine out very soon. all 28 plants are around a foot tall and not looking very well (after a very heavy aphid infestation) i have found 2 or 3 plants which have male flowers just starting to form in the whorl. I might have to just remove them from the ground and make room. I will try again next year with a bit more vigilance. Still it is only my first year and i'm still learning.  ::)

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 14:20 »
mine are in the 4-5ft range, i think, some forming cobs of some for, it's our first time out, and this thread is making me think i need to go reread what to do with them/what to expect/when to harvest. I was generally intending to wait until there were obviously big cobs there to pick.

rw3272

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 22:03 »
Well mine have shot up by about 2 foot in the last week and a half and now have silks/tassels too... prehaps all is not doom and gloom, and I should be thankful for the weather that is producing smiths period after smiths period!  Now just for some late summer sun to ripen them and the squashes :)

digalotty

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 22:14 »
about 18 inches high but looking healthy and starting to shoot up this week ,   i hope they have time to develop
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 22:54 »
...following on from my previous post, my second batch have really shot up in the last couple of weeks and are now forming tassles....fingers crossed i will get something from them.  they are only about 3ft high though and their big brothers are at least 5ft, but fingers crossed i will achieve my ultimate goal of having successive sweetcorn crops rather than 'all at once' that has been the case for years ::)

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 09:23 »
I'm a little confused re: harvesting Sweetcorn. I'm growing the variety Lark. The silks are brown but when I peeled back the husk the sweetcorn is still white underneath. I pierced a kernel and it is slightly watery still so I pressume it is still ripening. Do I just leave the corn until it goes yellow and the kernels are creamy when pierced?

xx
Sweetcorn??

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 15:42
by Trillium
xx
2nd Sweetcorn cob

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2017, 14:06
by New shoot
xx
sweetcorn

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 15:54
by mashauk
xx
How is your sweetcorn??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 15:25
by Wellpotty1

Page created in 0.891 seconds with 38 queries.