How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

• 65 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: How is your sweetcorn doing so far?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 10:46 »
My Swift (first year of growing this variety) are beginning to get brown tassles.  One plant has 5 cobs on it.  None of them are very tall but they are looking promising...

Last year I grew a heritage variety and by the time it got going it really missed the boat so we hardly got any.  Hence going for a fast variety this year.

Will be interested to see hw much flavour it has though. 

(Mine were started in Rootrainers, if it makes any difference?).

Ah, Five........................................

Five? !!!!!  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Do you live near a nuclear power station by any chance?  ::)

Well done anyway!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2011, 11:02 »
Because quite a few of mine have grown tillers this year....I also have a few plants with 5 cobs on :ohmy:

I have given those plants more feeding, but really can't see them ripening all their cobs :nowink:

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2011, 12:51 »
Because quite a few of mine have grown tillers this year....I also have a few plants with 5 cobs on :ohmy:

I have given those plants more feeding, but really can't see them ripening all their cobs :nowink:

I must confess I haven't fed mine since I put them out but when I planted them a bit of Nutrimate went in the bottom of the hole.

I don't think I live near any nuclear power plants, but maybe there's secret testing going on at the local RAF base?  :blink:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

offtheplot

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2011, 17:56 »
Compared to everyone elses on the site mine looks small and spindly, only about 3ft max....BUT each plant has 2 or 3 cobs growing nicely whereas other folk say theirs aren't doing much at all. Who knows the secret?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2011, 17:58 »
Dunno. Mine are only 2' tall ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 08:45 »
Compared to everyone elses on the site mine looks small and spindly, only about 3ft max....BUT each plant has 2 or 3 cobs growing nicely whereas other folk say theirs aren't doing much at all. Who knows the secret?

I suppose it doesn't matter how tall they get, it's the cobs that count, I don't want to eat the stalk!!  Mine can't be more than 3 foot tall , some less.  If yours are cobbing (is that a verb?) then that's great.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56 »

I suppose it doesn't matter how tall they get, it's the cobs that count, I don't want to eat the stalk!!  Mine can't be more than 3 foot tall , some less.  If yours are cobbing (is that a verb?) then that's great.

Exactly right  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 19:54 »
Hello all, this is my first successful year of growing sweetcorn!!
I think they are swift!! fellow allotementer give me some of their surplus seedlings. 

They are tall with 2-3 (Mainly 2) cobs on each.  I made a bit of a trench to plant them in and covered the soil with plastic as I read they prefer warm roots, that and the fact they were beside a south facing wall seems to have helped.  They had been neglected for a few weeks and became swamped in weeds so think that the height is because of that other than anything wonderful I did!

Fingers crossed they will ripen and taste yummy in the bbq

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 20:06 »
At first the pollination was patchy but the few I've picked today have been full  :)

Lurvely  :D

Gandan57

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 22:19 »
Mine, the seeds of which were sown around 20th April, are still weeks away from being ready. :(
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 22:47 »
now about 6' with shoots coming out of the middle now.

I doubt cobs'll be ready anytime soon, if at all.

Still, the plants are impressive.

sarajane

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 23:48 »
Absolutely terrible.  I have grown Lark for the last 4 years and have grown some brilliant cobs, normally 3 per plant.  This year only half have 2 cobs just forming and the rest are only about 18 inches high.

Think it is the position as I planted them by the blackberrybushes this year and they have grown unusually high and possibly blocked out quite a bit of the little sunshine we have had.  They do need sunshine  :(  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 09:21 »
In the 10 days since I started this thread my Swift have come on quite nicely; the second batch have nearly caught up the first, which is exactly what I wanted to happen as the idea was to try and improve the pollination of some of the later appearing silks in the first batch.

It's a bit early to say whether that's actually happened or not (yesterday's strong winds won't have helped; you can have too much of a good thing!) but although they are still a foot shorter than they should be they look as if they could average two cobs per plant (not in the same league as some people I could mention but quite good for up here on my particular soil!)  :tongue2:

We shall see!  :unsure:   :)

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 21:43 »
Mine are about 5ft and showing mostly two nice fat cobs....but like last year it's been windy at pollination time so I'm not going to be surprised if the cobs are a bit patchy.....tassles still white so a way to go yet. Unlike last year I did stake them...so unlike last year they have remained vertical in the wind... :wub:

Beklet

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 14:04 »
Most of my stumpy (3' high) plants have a couple of cobs on, but a couple had brown tassels - went to have a look and loads of earwigs dropped out! Eurgh!!!  >:(

(this is where someone tells me they're beneficial lol)

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac
xx
when should I sow sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 08:32
by Jonajo
xx
What sweetcorn please?

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 08:37
by MyAchingBack
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 10:18
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 38 queries.