How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

• 65 Replies

Totty

Re: How is your sweetcorn doing so far?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 23:12 »
I hqve grown swift as well, plants range from about 3-4 foot, but nice and sturdy, all tassles are out now. Is it usual for slugs to munch on the tassles?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 00:22 »
i have two batches of 'supersweet'...sorry I cant remember the name and i am away from my seed box at the moment.  However, one batch that i started very early indoors, then moved into the greenhouse and then planted out quite early (during that warm spell in spring), are about 5 ft high and all have 2 good looking cobs on each.  Hopefully they are about 3 weeks away from eating.....cant wait :)

the second batch, that i sowed according to the packet (May, i think) are only about 2 ft high and are really struggling.  i doubt i will get anything from them this year. :(...i was hoping to get successive crops, although considering the strange weather we have had this year, i am grateful to at least have one good looking crop for the effort.  ::)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 06:06 »
I'm growing Rising Sun F1 Hybrid, a good performer in our 'indifferent British Summer' apparently!! So far so good, plants tall, 6', and healthy with roughly 3/4 cobs per plant. I keep giving them a shake to pollinate them so we'll see if anything happens!!  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 10:18 »
I hqve grown swift as well, plants range from about 3-4 foot, but nice and sturdy, all tassles are out now. Is it usual for slugs to munch on the tassles?

That's a long slither for a slug for something I wouldn't have thought was their usual sort of snack!  :ohmy:

Have you actually caught them in the act?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 21:21 »
Mine are Incredible f1, and it's the first time I've grown sweetcorn too. Silks are forming  :). Having followed advice, I gave them a dose of fbb to give them a boost  :).

Anyone tried Sun Dance f1? I'm told they're really good and I'm awaiting a sample  :)

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42 »
I planted Swift  - 2 ft high  - tassels are out - silks ( cobs ) just appearing - I am in the Midlands - I get the impression mine are a bit small - Others on our allotemnt are 3 ft tall and look like they are about 2/3 weeks ahead - may be a diffrenet variety though.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 11:47 »
I've grown Rising Sun F1 and harvested the first cob yesterday

mmmmmmmmmm  :D :D

After my disaster last year growing two kinds near each other  :tongue2: I am relieved to have somthing edible this year  
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 13:31 »
Mine are Golden Bantam Improved - the plants are about 5ft tall but no sign of anything yet.

madcat

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 13:41 »
Mine are Kelvedon glory and they are about a foot shorter than they were this time last year.  The tassels are starting to open out, but cobs are few and far between.  Last year I got mostly 3 cobs from each plant. 

The big difference this year, other than the obvious of the cold May and June  :(, is the watering - last year I put 2 cans of water on the patch (28 plants) every morning.  This year, he has been in charge of watering and it turns out wasn't watering the sweetcorn.   >:(  For the sake of the peace we are blaming the weather!   :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lazy-al

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 13:07 »
I think i will be taking mine out very soon. all 28 plants are around a foot tall and not looking very well (after a very heavy aphid infestation) i have found 2 or 3 plants which have male flowers just starting to form in the whorl. I might have to just remove them from the ground and make room. I will try again next year with a bit more vigilance. Still it is only my first year and i'm still learning.  ::)

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 14:20 »
mine are in the 4-5ft range, i think, some forming cobs of some for, it's our first time out, and this thread is making me think i need to go reread what to do with them/what to expect/when to harvest. I was generally intending to wait until there were obviously big cobs there to pick.

rw3272

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 22:03 »
Well mine have shot up by about 2 foot in the last week and a half and now have silks/tassels too... prehaps all is not doom and gloom, and I should be thankful for the weather that is producing smiths period after smiths period!  Now just for some late summer sun to ripen them and the squashes :)

digalotty

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 22:14 »
about 18 inches high but looking healthy and starting to shoot up this week ,   i hope they have time to develop
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 22:54 »
...following on from my previous post, my second batch have really shot up in the last couple of weeks and are now forming tassles....fingers crossed i will get something from them.  they are only about 3ft high though and their big brothers are at least 5ft, but fingers crossed i will achieve my ultimate goal of having successive sweetcorn crops rather than 'all at once' that has been the case for years ::)

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 09:23 »
I'm a little confused re: harvesting Sweetcorn. I'm growing the variety Lark. The silks are brown but when I peeled back the husk the sweetcorn is still white underneath. I pierced a kernel and it is slightly watery still so I pressume it is still ripening. Do I just leave the corn until it goes yellow and the kernels are creamy when pierced?

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 30, 2020, 18:24
by Yorkshire Lass
question
Sweetcorn

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 16:52
by JayG
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Kim on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 09:27
by Oliver
xx
Sweetcorn..?

Started by braders on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 09:02
by fish

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 37 queries.