Chickens and allotments - your experience please.

• 1 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Chickens and allotments - your experience please.
« on: July 29, 2011, 13:22 »
Well, I've only had the girls for four weeks and I'm already dreaming of expansion. There is however limited space in my garden as i have to keep the hens and dogs separate. (Callie our collie x staffie caught a rook earlier this week.)

We have an allotment which I know we can keep chooks on. I currently share the plot with two other people though we have plans for getting a couple more involved so theoretically there would be plenty of people to help look after them. We also have a lot of space (approx 500 square metres or 25 pole) including some parts of the plot that have tree cover and are not very productive veg wise.

I guess I'm asking a number of things here.

Do people either keep hens at home or at an allotment or manage both? If both do you find yourself neglecting one lot over the other?

How have people found security with allotment hens? I know this is going to be down to individual sites but would still like to hear of peoples experience. Our allotment is a 5 minute walk from home and our plot is fairly secluded however we have had the shed interfered with before. It wasn't locked and the police did catch some youths on the site that week but it was a worry none the less.

Whatever style run we went for would have to be seriously fox proof as I spotted the local Monsieur Renard at 8.30pm whilst I was out watering. I was thinking of some sort of chicken tractor that could be moved around the plot as required.

I should point out that at the moment this is just idle dreaming as I'm wrapped up in our new girls and enjoying having them at home however longer term it could be a way of keeping more birds and sharing the workload.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 13:41 by Ben_H »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Chickens and allotments - your experience please.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 18:10 »
The site next to mine had some hens on it.  Despite it being a locked site with relatively high metal fences, the hens were stolen before one Christmas, then killed by a fox, then some stolen again (or at least released, they got one back) - I should point out this is 3 sets of hens, not the same set!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Any experience with chickens and electric fence?

Started by DeadlyNightshade on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 22:53
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
Chickens on allotments

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 20:11
by karlooben
xx
new to allotments and chickens

Started by seanandlaura on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 22:18
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Chickens and allotments

Started by wendyg on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 08:03
by wendyg

Page created in 0.79 seconds with 36 queries.