what wood preserver

• 16 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: what wood preserver
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 22:57 »
I believe that it is only available to professionals for the treatment of buildings that have previously been treated with creosote.  Not for new uses.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: what wood preserver
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 22:59 »
In July 2003, it became an offence for the general public to purchase and apply Coal Tar Creosote, however, the product is still available for sale to tradespeople. This means the traditional user such as the agricultural community, builders, etc. are still able to purchase Coal Tar Creosote, providing they do not resell to the general householder. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that only genuine tradespeople are supplied.

But you didn't mention the rest of the restriction, which is that it is only legal for professionals to use it on previously creosoted wood.  It isn't permitted for them to use it on fresh wood, so to speak.

Edit: Aunt Sally got there first.

In relation to the several posts on this thread (i.e. not any one particular poster), creosote was banned for very good reasons, namely carcinogenic risks.  If someone wants their hens to live in freshly creosoted wood, inhaling it, and producing eggs that are then eaten, that is their choice.

The forum's position on the suggestion or endorsement of nasties such as this is clear.  I don't think there is anything more usefully to add and so I am locking this thread.

[edited to depersonalise post]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:53 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Wood Preserver...

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 17:42
by Prod
xx
Best wood preserver to use for coop

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 09:54
by lucyeff
xx
soft wood chip or hard wood chip

Started by bee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 16:01
by hillfooter
xx
Wood ash.

Started by RubyRed on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2018, 15:52
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 36 queries.