what wood preserver

• 16 Replies

binner

• Experienced Member
what wood preserver
« on: July 28, 2011, 21:47 »
hi guys, im just about to start building a chicken house this weekend but i cant fine any info on painting it to keep it water proof and last a few years, im using 12mm in/ex ternal ply but not full external graded stuff(too expensive) so it will need a coat or two of something, but what is safe to use?

cheers binner
first year grower

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: what wood preserver
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 23:20 »
I just used one of the ronseal fence paints that was suitable around pets.  You need a few coats even though mine said one coat.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 00:22 »
if you treat your coop with Creosote one it will keep out red mite and is a really good wood preservative but a draw back is should let it air for about 2 weeks as the fumes can kill your hens. i have used it on my broody coop no bugs in it at all

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:44 »
thanks for that, so i should do the inside with creosote too then?
airing out is not a problem, building house this week then i need to clear a patch on the plot to build a run before i get any hens

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08 »
I would not do the inside with creosote as the wood will still need to breath. The inside can be done with hillfooters slurry and its brill in stopping red mite. Never had a single mite in the coop i used the slurry from the start with. If that makes sense.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:42 »
Do not use creosote - it is a baned substance owing to it being carcinogenic. Only professionals with a licence are allowed to use it. Large poultry farms will use it as they leave their poultry houses empty for many weeks in between birds so that they can air.
Creosote was replaced for the general public by a product called creocote but again the fumes are very strong so really you would need to air the coop for several weeks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jacinta

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 16:06 »
i used wilkinsons own brand wood preserver, it goes on like a dream and was cheap too.  Safe for pets once dry and some lovely colours.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 16:11 »
if you can find any that say bat friendly then you will be ok  :)

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 22:22 »
thanks for the pointers, i take it wilco's stuff is just like wickes own shed and fence paint then? i have a big tub of that from when i built the lotty shed

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 22:27 »
i just googled hillfooters slurry but all it came up with was a link to this site, i clicked on but it loads up like a html version of the site, maybe posted on an old version of the forum data base, anyway all i could make out is you make it your self, what/how/where ect if you dont mind
cheers binner

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 22:30 »

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 22:33 »
cuprinol wood preservers are bat friendly according to their website  :)

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 22:53 »
thankyou :)

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 22:54 »
i know i read some place about wood preserver it was in issue 87-June 2011 Practical Poultry the Article is Battling-on Creoseal is what was used.

But as i stated i used creosote it was aired over a month before put to use and it was obtained legally.

Yes joy i did forget to state you had to be a tradesman to use

In July 2003, it became an offence for the general public to purchase and apply Coal Tar Creosote, however, the product is still available for sale to tradespeople. This means the traditional user such as the agricultural community, builders, etc. are still able to purchase Coal Tar Creosote, providing they do not resell to the general householder. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that only genuine tradespeople are supplied.

orchardlady

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 22:57 »
Creasote as suggested is not recommended as it contains some powerful nasties in it. It is now only really available to farmers and fencing workers. People used to paint their hen houses with it (allowing the house to air for several weeks) as I believe it has some fairly potent ingredients that kill red mite and other insects. However I understand that the replacement stuff does not contain these insect killer ingredients so do not rely on anything other wood preserver than the old fashioned creosote to keep mite at bay.

Personally and I am not giving a direct recommendation here just letting you know what I do. I remove the perches and paint them with old fashioned creosote and I also allow the perch ends to sit in a container soaking for 24 hours. I have two set's of perches so rotate them on a 6-8 week interval. I am very careful with the creosote and ensure it does not drip onto the ground or splash onto me or the surrounding area. I then 'paint' the well weathered 'new' set of perches with the DE slurry and replace into the hen house.

I also creosote the entire interior and exterior of my broodie coops once the broodie has finishes. The coop then has a full year to 'air'.

Hope this helps.

Orchardlady.

xx
Wood Preserver...

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 17:42
by Prod
xx
Best wood preserver to use for coop

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 09:54
by lucyeff
xx
soft wood chip or hard wood chip

Started by bee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 16:01
by hillfooter
xx
Wood ash.

Started by RubyRed on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2018, 15:52
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.