when & where to move my broody hen?

• 0 Replies

rosie14

when & where to move my broody hen?
« on: July 27, 2011, 14:52 »
Ok the broody Orpington I have has been sitting on 5 cream crested legbars since yesterday eve. no problems. It seems I need to move her away from direct contact with the others, the thing is I'm not sure where and when is best in this cycle (other than dusk!)

The choices....

I have a 40x5 foot chicken run with an open ended shed type design so they can go in out as they please, they do not roost on the perches provided but will sometimes during the day. Anyway above their nesting boxes is an inbuilt open plan hutch which is empty. It measures 60cm in length 40cm in depth and is 60cm high. Would this be suitable to move her to, if so when? I guess I'd keep her there from whenever we moved her until just after the chicks have hatched ie the early few days of motherhood and whilst the chicks were very young and susceptible and then move them to the option below but you guys tell me lol!

I have a 1m x 2m x 70cm high rabbit run which has shelter on roof ONLY ie not the sides. Our bunny lives out all year and he has a trixie house covered with towelling so he can pop in and out as he wishes like the hens! It would offer a fab. private and weather proof shelter for the Orpington and her chicks but she would never fit in the door!! I do however have an unused rabbit hutch that I could put in there which is 90cm long, 40cm deep and 45cm high which would provide great shelter but is that large enough (of course it would be inside the run).

I have a garage but whilst in many ways perfect it has no windows and I couldn't leave the door open in case cats got in and I can't keep her in the dark! I have no shed either :(

There are the options folks what shall I do and when shall I do it? Can I leave moving her until after candling the eggs?

Thanks so much for putting up with me and my questions!!  :D

xx
When should I move my broody

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 20:33
by grinling
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Who to move

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 14:11
by joyfull
xx
To move or not to move?

Started by ness on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 14:21
by Vember

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 34 queries.