culling

• 7 Replies

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
culling
« on: July 24, 2011, 23:38 »
iv never done it hopefully wont have to for a long time, but how do you guys do it and for what reasons is it justifiable?
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: culling
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 23:50 »
Hi storme37.  Simply culling is done when you have too many birds (if you have no other option but to do this i.e. you find that you have all cockerells that you can't get rid of) or they are sick and you need to prevent transmission to other birds.

I wouldn't try to explain on here how to do it because words are open to interpretation but I would strongly suggest that you go on a course to show you how to do it properly. 

There are lots of posts on here about courses that are available.  I can recommend the one run by Alison at Hook Farm (www.chickenkeeper.co.uk) but that is only because I have been on Alison's course.  I don't have experience of anyone elses courses.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:37 »
I use one of these:-

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Wall_Mounted_poultry_Dispatcher.html

although I bought mine from a different place.

It is worth getting somebody to show you how to do the deed though to ensure you learn to do it with as little distress to the bird possible.
I do mine late at night when all the other birds are asleep so they don't see what is happening. 
Staffies are softer than you think.

Laidback

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:08 »
I do mine late at night when all the other birds are asleep so they don't see what is happening. 

I've only had to do it once in recent times, so I chose midnight, and I can honestly say that I was much more distressed than the bird, which knew nothing. Total time taken = just a few seconds.

I looked at lots of methods, and the potential for things to go wrong, before choosing one. Having only had the one recent experience, I won't say what it is, but things like not hurting myself were part of the choice process.

As a young poultry person on a commercial farm back in the 1960s, I was given a wooden butcher's table, a machete and no instructions!  :ohmy: Somehow, I still have my fingers, but that was clearly not something that should have happened, even in the days before modern Health & Safety Regs. Being young and foolish, I thought there was nothing about that!

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 00:08 »
somebody suggested shooting the bird with a high powered air riffle with telescoping or lazor sight to avoid misses. any one any ideas on this.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 07:16 »
somebody suggested shooting the bird with a high powered air riffle with telescoping or lazor sight to avoid misses. any one any ideas on this.

Lunacy!  usually your prey has to standing relatively still to get a clean shot... have you ever seen a chicken stand still?

I dispatch all my own birds, whether through sickness, injury, for the table, and dare I say it... waste from my breeding programs.

For chicks up to about 2 weeks I use shears, after that I use a stick (as in broomstick, but it's not as long), because I just don't have the strength, nor the arm length, to dispatch a 14lb cockerel by wringing it's neck in the traditional manner.

Unfortunately humane dispatching is an up close and personal job, whether you wring the neck, use a stick, use a humane dispatcher or use a killing cone or axe.

Don't worry too much about getting it wrong, because at some point you will get it wrong.  As long as you have a back up plan, and react quickly, then no real harm is done.  Unfortunately, at with a lot of things, you get better with practice, no matter which method you choose.

Laidback

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07 »
Trying to put a distance between the yourself and the chicken might seem attractive, but it does nothing for the welfare of the bird. Taken to its logical extreme, this approach  might end with us being like the bomber pilots who never see their victims.

Culling ought to be at least a little distressing. If it isn't, even a chicken's life is being undervalued.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 00:54 »
A couple of years ago I wrote in this thread about my first experience of culling a chook and it didn't go very well.

Lots of others replied with their experiences of having to make their first ill so I'd recommend reading it to get an insight in what others have gone through and then get yourself booked on a course sharpish! :lol:

xx
Culling - Which way?

Started by kimT on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 14:17
by kimT
xx
culling

Started by hermon on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 14:09
by Aunt Sally
sad
culling

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 15:44
by drumcrow
xx
Culling birds

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 20:06
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.599 seconds with 38 queries.