breadmaker

• 33 Replies

francesann

breadmaker
« on: July 24, 2011, 19:35 »
hi,  could anyone tell me which is the best breadmaker to buy??? :)thanks all.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: breadmaker
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 20:15 »
This is something which is very much down to personal preference and individual needs, but this site might give you some useful pointers. :)

http://breadmakerreview.co.uk/
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

francesann

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 21:49 »
thanks for link. will check it out.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 22:02 »
Best no idea - but I have a Panasonic sd-255 its used daily and hasn't missed a beat since I bought it. I could/would never go back to sliced cotton wool.

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 22:35 »
I wonder how many of us with these beasties actually use them mostly on the 'dough' setting - ie as a glorified food mixer (with dough hook)?   I know I do all the time with 'old faithful' my Morphy Richards 48200 and have done for yonks - in fact I can't really remember the last time I actually let it do the whole process......
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:56 »
I wonder how many of us with these beasties actually use them mostly on the 'dough' setting -

A lot of us.

See this post, amongst others:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65389.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

anuvaday

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:41 »
Hi all,

Im new to this site and have just registered...so still finding my way around, so I apologise if Im posting in the wrong spot or going about it the wrong way!!  ...have tried to send DD a message regarding an older post where a beautiful batch of loaves were made using the dough cycle of a bread machine.  I must admit that I am not clued up enough in knowing the best way to make the most out of our bread machine although use it frequently during the week...currently I am awaiting for a three seeded loaf to be produced from it ! However I am keen to try new ideas and particularly trying out new ideas.  Would be great if DD see's this post and can offersome advice.  Those loaves...( from a sep 2010 post) look amazing....and sundried toms and basil too...( just too good)...so could DD possible talk through how to do that... very much appreciated.....lets hope I can work out whether I get a reply...im just as novice on a computer as I am on a bread machine!!  Thanx all

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 13:34 »
Hi anuvaday and welcome! :D You haven't made enough posts to be able to send PMs yet, but I'm sure DD will find out about your post ;) and he'll be able to give you some pointers as requested.

:)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 14:34 »
Sorry for the delay - been doing my mother's garden!

Fairly simple, I made it up as I went along:

Use the breadmaker to make the dough ONLY. Make it according to your machine's recipe using 125g strong white flour & 375g wholemeal flour. Now this bit I don't know the weights, but to the initial mix I add 1/4 small standard jar of dried basil, (although I can do it fresh at the mo), and 1/2 a small jar of finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil.

I then divide the dough into 12 minature loaf tins, (used to be called "Penny Loaves" and let them rise in the air cupboard for as long as it takes to be nice and rounded above the tins.

They then go into a pre-heated fan assisted oven for 10 minutes on 200oC and bob's your uncle!

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 16:04 »
let them rise in the air cupboard for as long as it takes to be nice and rounded above the tins.

I fear at some point in the very near future the term "airing cupboard" will disappear from use.

signed - "The combi-boiler society"

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 16:09 »
A warm spot in the house then!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 16:11 »
and, in the winter - that's on the propagator  :lol: cos this old house is cold!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 16:22 »
A mate of mine puts his dough to rise in a very low oven, (in the tin),  then cranks the temperature up when it's the right size.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 16:25 »
We've done the low oven trick if its a cool or grey day in the summer. There's usually somewhere warm enough though with the sunshine or even near the fire if necessary and we actually never use the hall cupboard.  :D

hamstergbert

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 19:22 »
at HamsterGBert Towers we do have an old fashioned airing cupboard but never bother proving the dough there.  We generally find it is enough simply to put the tins (covered with dry tea towel) proximate to Mother in Law.  She is always in a warm place (even at this time of year we have to have the fire for her while the Memsahib and I are splatted against the walls with the blast of heat.  The delights of four scoere years and ten!).

When MiL isn't here anywhere will do - a frost free room will actually do the trick, you can even prove your dough in the fridge.  The principal difference is that it takes a lot longer (overnight in the fridge) but it does prove eventually.  Just watch the size and let that be your guide.

xx
First time with my breadmaker........

Started by Slowgrind on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

46 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 13:50
by shokkyy
xx
Sour dough in breadmaker?

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:45
by Poolfield2
xx
breadmaker woes and joys

Started by grendel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

137 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 13:37
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 37 queries.