IBC tanks

• 3 Replies

Flatcat

IBC tanks
« on: July 24, 2011, 16:07 »
Hi,

Our plot is a good 180ft away from the nearest water supply, and so I thought of having a water butt on the plot, but the only problem is that sheds (or any structures over 4ft in height) are not allowed on our site, so no gutter or roof to collect water from.

So my thought was would an IBC tank with the top cut off (and perhaps a fine grid over the top) be sufficient to collect water, or is this too silly? :tongue2:

Damon

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: IBC tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 16:25 »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Gandan57

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 16:38 »
It will catch all the rainfall that falls directly onto it but if your annual total is maybe 25 inches it`s going to take at least 18 months to fill, allowing for evaporation. To maintain a supply you would have to use it very sparingly.      

You could try and increase the catchment area, by rigging up some sort of sloping structure going into the IBC, but you would be covering up possible growing area by doing so. No easy answer I`m afraid.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 17:53 »
You could try and increase the catchment area, by rigging up some sort of sloping structure going into the IBC....
That's what the thread I have linked to and others to be found through the site search facility suggest. ;) :D

xx
IBC tanks.

Started by Plot46 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 10:07
by tinyallotment

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 37 queries.