What a stressful morning!

• 17 Replies

clairerey

Re: What a stressful morning!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 20:28 »
sorry a vaguely random question. The farm that i bought my chickens from, always carry them around by their feet with their wings flapping like mad, whilst i thought it looked cruel, i just figured that thats the way it was done as i hadnt had chickens before. Now that i have them, i have never picked them up this way, i dont see the need to. Is it something normal? or am i right to be slightly concerned?
p/s im glad that the next man that came along seemed much nicer, it must be very worry as a seller where the hens are going
claire x

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 00:53 »
Well I don't know how it's done in other places, but I would never pick a chicken up by its feet.  :(

When a chicken is being held upside down, it can regurgitate the contents of its crop and then inhale it.  I read a very sad story recently of someone who held her chicken upside down  to treat it for lice, and this is exactly what happened.  Effectively it "drowned."  Of course she felt terrible and advised everyone not to hold a chicken like this.  :(

I've had a very kind vet explain to me the best way to hold a chicken - scooping it up with your hand under its chest, legs held firmly between your fingers.  Then you can tuck it under your arm and hold it securely without it flapping. 

I had to do this twice a day for a while, to give medication to a sick chicken.  Once you've had a bit of practise it is very easy and very calm for human and animal.

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 15:42 »
Thanks for that advise i was wondering how to de-lice my girls when the time comes, i won't hold them upside down, thats horrible what can happen to them  :ohmy:

xx
Emu died this morning

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 11:54
by Oliveview
xx
Look What i found this morning

Started by bastonjock on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:52
by Vit
xx
So what did you wear this morning...

Started by Kathie on Chicken Chat

52 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:00
by Bev
xx
New chicks, hatched this morning

Started by nuzuki on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 20:38
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.