Worried about chicken after dog scare

• 3 Replies

brick22

Worried about chicken after dog scare
« on: July 22, 2011, 14:20 »
A couple of hours ago, my mums 3 dogs chased my 2 girls whilst they were in their coop. As soon as they dogs were away I let the girls out and all seemed fine at first. I then saw that one of their combs was slightly off colour, I checked her over and her beak was chipped & bleeding by the base and she had also cut her comb. I have bathed with hibiscrub, she seems perfectly fine, eating & drinking no problem.
After about an hour my other girl took herself off to the nest box, she is not making any noise and she's not laying as she only laid about half hour before the incident. I've never seen her in the nest box during the day, she's been in there about an hour now. She seemed perfectly fine after the incident, free ranging in the garden, eating & drinking.
Is it shock? Should I leave her alone? Should I get her up? Or am I just a worrier?
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Re: Worried about chicken after dog scare
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 14:28 »
Giving them marmite after a shock can help with their blood pressure, which is the main thing that will kill them.
My dogs got to my chickens earlier in the year and one chicken chipped her beak and had her tail pulled out. They were all in shock so we gave them marmite and left them alone for a few hours in their house. When we went back down they were all out wandering around as if nothing had ever happened
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

brick22

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 14:58 »
Thanks Mulberry1990, I gave her a little piece of toast, she ate it and then started squarking REALLY loudly. She came out to the garden, still squarking away, I've checked the nest box and there is a soft egg in there, poor thing. She is still making a right racket, will keep a close eye on her.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 19:45 »
I believe a suddent fright can cause a hen to lay a softie.  Hopefully she'll be OK now.  Good luck and keep us posted  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Chicken died....should I be worried about the others?

Started by utigers on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 16:46
by ANHBUC
xx
Worried about green chicken manure

Started by hensjs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 13:58
by hensjs
xx
Chicken pics and an over-worried mum question...

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:42
by Helenaj
xx
New to chicken keeping and worried about feed!

Started by chickabiddy on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 20:53
by chickabiddy

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 36 queries.