Hello

• 3 Replies

M1CYO

Hello
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:23 »
Hi everyone, :)

I have recently got 4 17week chickens and I think they are great.  :) :)  Should have taken the plunge sooner.  I am probably being impatient but am wondering if there is something I should be doing to encourage the chickens out of the coop.  The chickens have a coop with an attached run.  For the first week I was advised to keep them confined to the coop and run which I did.  I have now been leaving the run open for several days so the they can come into the garden but they are still generally staying in the coop most of the time.  Should I lock them out of the coop to encourage them into the garden or is this something they will do more of over time.

I could also do with some advice regarding grit.  I am currently feeding them on a mix of layers pellets and mixed corn.  When should I introduce grit???

Thanks and look forward to keeping in touch.  Its true they are addictive (the chickens that is)  My wife said yesterday she is now competing with 4 chickens as well as a 2,3 and 4yr old for attention!! 

Mike

evie2

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:31 »
Hello M1CYO and welcome to the happy world of chicken keeping :D

Give them time, they'll come out when they're ready :D you can put grit there for them to help themselves now :D

One more thing, pictures needed so we can ooo and aah please :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 13:34 »
Also,

even while they are in the run, i find it good to handle them and to get them used to being hand fed/picked up.

Sweet corn or meal worms are good for this as they go mad for it and will soon get over there timidness!

I started offering them meal worms while being held and they soon stoped caring about being picked up.

Other then that just give it time and they will soon come out to play.

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 14:15 »
Hello and welcome  :D 
I agree that you should let them come out in their own time and leave grit and oyster shell available so they can help themselves ad lib.  Good luck with your hens and don't forget the pics  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 35 queries.