how many eggs should i be getting?

• 8 Replies

jobson336

• Experienced Member
how many eggs should i be getting?
« on: July 21, 2011, 23:22 »
hi,

my chickens just dont seem to be laying at the rate i think they should be, there are 20 hens. Most are pure breeds ( astrolope, cochin, legbar, arancuna, marran) but there are some warren, blackrock as well.
most days im only getting max 10 eggs and today only 6!

they are all 12 months old and at times i have had more eggs from them.

they have 24 hour access to layers pellets, fresh water, grit and shell and get a bit of corn for a treat. They all seem healthy and active.
am i expecting too many eggs? Is there a reason why they are not laying more eggs?
 8)

Gerty333

Re: how many eggs should i be getting?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 23:30 »
I'm  sure someone will be along with better advice but i think you should expect one egg per chicken on most days of the week! thats what I get from mine anyway, although one's not laying and i'm wondering if the odd weather is putting them off.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 07:38 »
different breeds lay different numbers on average.  Some breeds will lay 5-7 per week, some as few as two.  the numbers you are getting are not therefore unusual.  If you need lots of eggs you need to select breeds that are more prolific layers (if you google frequency of egg laying you will get a list of breeds)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:35 »
the weather also plays a part in their laying - mine went down to just seven a day and now I am back up to 12-14. Pure breeds may lay less per week but they will lay for a longer period of time  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 14:26 »
My bantam hens go through low production periods but the way I see it is that they will be laying for longer. 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 14:56 »
thanks guys, i do like my pure breeds but its handy having a few hybrids in their to keep an egg on my plate. Was more worried that i might be missing something.

as for the weather its rough up North as they say! Rain, Rain and rain!
 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 17:14 »
As Joy said, weather does play a part in which way they go, but the warrens and blackrocks should still be laying a nearly every day.

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 23:35 »
yeah i think its the hybrids that are laying, the legbars and the astrolopes are also laying most days.
hope they lay a few more though!
 8)

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:32 »
Also pure breeds may lay consistently for a few weeks (even if it is three or four eggs a week) then stop for a few weeks, then start laying again etc.

This is a more natural laying pattern for hens, rather than the lay-every-day hybrids which are comon place now.

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 29 queries.